PDA

View Full Version : Doing a water change

FasTruckmonkey
12-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I dont know how everyone else does their water changes, but this is what I started doing with my 125. With my 55 gal I use to do the bucket scoop and fill method and it took a while. Maybe we can get some easier/better ideas off each other.

1 -5 gal bucket.
1 -pond/filter pump (like what you might have in your wet dry) I think mine is 170 gph.
x amount of feet of hose/clear tubing to run from your tank room to the bathtub or outside.
1-siphon/gravel vacuum kit

Ok taking water out.
Hook up the hose to the pond pump and then run the other end to where ever you want the water to drain to (outside, bathtub, etc). Place the pump in the bucket and begin to siphon some water out of the tank into your 5 gal bucket, you want it as least 1/2 way full. Now go plug the pump in and continue siphoning the tank into the bucket. Ideally you wont over fill the bucket or the pump wont suck it out faster than the siphon fills it up. Once you have taken out the amount of water you want, reverse locations. I take the bucket and pump into my bathroom and place the bucket in the tub. Now take the other end of the hose and place it in the tank. This is easier with 2 people, unless you have a way to hold the hose in the tank, you don't want it flopping out and getting water all over the floor. Now get the water temp where you need it, and then place the bucket in the tub and start filling up the bucket with the pump in it. Again get it about halfway full. Then plug in the pump. I have to add dechlroinator to my water so this is when I do it. I just mix it in the bucket and let it get pumped over to the tank. Now you want to adjust the water so that it doesn't over fill the bucket again, no point in letting the unused water run down the drain. Again this is where having 2 people is helpful, but not needed. Go watch the water level in your tank and fill as necessary. I typically do this by myself and can change the water in my 125 in about 30 mins. I do this once a week and its no hassle at all.

cindy
12-23-2008, 09:43 AM
just this marina aqua vac super easy no need for buckets hoses drop it in and it does the work...

FasTruckmonkey
12-23-2008, 09:47 AM
LOL well that is easier!

cindy
12-23-2008, 09:57 AM
really its a great item. I hook it up to the bathroom faucet turn on the water and it sucks the old water out of my tank it has 50 feet of clear hose then when i want to fill I ajust the water temp turn the knob on the marina aqua vac and it starts filling the tank with new water .the only down fall is it works fast so you need to keep an eye on it and make sure your temp for in going water is right my water heater is in the basement so it takes a few to get hot upstairs...cindy

cindy
12-23-2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.aquacave.com/marina-aquavac-50-br-gravel-cleaner--water-br-changing-system-2148.html here it is monkey:)

FasTruckmonkey
12-23-2008, 10:14 AM
lol And I was so proud of my system.

Nudist
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Cindy, do you have to add dechlroinator to your water or is it ok out of the tap?

i sorta do it like FasTruck does. i put a tote bucket (20gal) next to my tank and fill it with water at correct temp using the siphon hose thats hooked to my bathroom sink, then i add dechlroinator in the bucket.

i then reverse the siphon to vacuum out the tank and once thats done i have an old powerhead with a clear hose attached to it that i put in the tote bucket of water to pump it into my aquarium. i have a clamp that i use to hold the clear tube in the tank so while its filling up i can just stand there and watch it.

Steve

cindy
12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
oh you should be proud it sounds like its working for you!:xmas4:the owner of the lfs recommended this product to me so I tried it and wow its great.I can get the water temp going in within. a half a degree or less so it dosent stress the fish to much mater of fact the fish just continue swimmin around and even checking out the vac.then when that tank is done the vac has a switch to turn off at the tank i just cleaned then walk across the room and drop it in the other tank and do it again.this thing is awesome since recently i had an ammonia problem and did 50%changes to my tanks daily sometimes twice a day that would have been a full time job...:dance:..cindy

cindy
12-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Cindy, do you have to add dechlroinator to your water or is it ok out of the tap?

i sorta do it like FasTruck does. i put a tote bucket (20gal) next to my tank and fill it with water at correct temp using the siphon hose thats hooked to my bathroom sink, then i add dechlroinator in the bucket.

i then reverse the siphon to vacuum out the tank and once thats done i have an old powerhead with a clear hose attached to it that i put in the tote bucket of water to pump it into my aquarium. i have a clamp that i use to hold the clear tube in the tank so while its filling up i can just stand there and watch it.

Steve I have well water 0 chlorine.

FasTruckmonkey
12-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Lucky!

Nudist
12-23-2008, 10:38 AM
i agree, VERY lucky you have well water. that makes it a lot easier and better for the fish i would think.

Steve

cindy
12-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm soo sorry I wasn't thinkin bout the chlorine in some homes:dunce:I was just really impressed how easy it is for me to use and thought it might help you guys to do it the lazy way like me:oops:...cindy

Nudist
12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
i use a python and by using the powerhead to pump water from the bucket to the tank, it makes it easy. i have read where a lot of people just put the dechlroinator in their tank and fill it direct from the sink but i'm afraid of hurting the fish doing it that way.

Steve

FasTruckmonkey
12-23-2008, 10:58 AM
I wonder how much chlorine my tap water has...
May check that out when I get bored.

SuddenUrge
12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
...maybe I can convince my wife to let me do this instead of lining up 5 gal buckets in the living room and bed rooms....than again lifting 5g buckets over and over has done well for my arms over the past few months lol quickly followed by 12oz curls as a cool down ;)

Nudist
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
...lol quickly followed by 12oz curls as a cool down ;)that can be a lot more fun than lifting the 5gal buckets sir. doing it my way you can do a 12oz curl while filling the tank back up. :drink:

Steve

FasTruckmonkey
12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
that can be a lot more fun than lifting the 5gal buckets sir. doing it my way you can do a 12oz curl while filling the tank back up. :drink:

Steve

He makes a very good point.

Glaive
12-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I have well water 0 chlorine.

Have you tested your well water for ammonia nitrites and nitrates?

I bucket brigade it due to not having the adapter for the faucet in my bathroom.
I save one bucket for the tomatoes and the rest goes out the window to the fastest
growing shrub in the neighborhood. If I had my adapter I would fill with the python
while draining out the window. I'd just hit it with prime a few times during the change.

DogWalker
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
A simple hose and faucet adapter is about it for me.

1. Hook hose up to tap using adapter. Put other end in tank, using tank lid to secure it in place
2. Turn on tap until bubbles stop coming out of hose (ie: hose full).
3. Pinch hose near tap, unscrew from faucet adapter, place end in toilet or floor drain sump and un-pinch, using toilet lid (or a boot or something in the case of a floor drain) to keep hose in place. Syphon effect achieved.
4. When enough water has been syphoned, turn on faucet and test faucet lever position for desired water temp. Turn off faucet, keeping level at the same hot/cold setting. Put dechlorinator (eg: Prime) in tank.
5. Hook hose back up to faucet adapter and turn on faucet to fill tank. Check once in awhile to ensure temperature is still ok.

My largest tank is in a room next to the garage, which has a floor drain with sump. Draining to the sump enables me to vacuum with the hose at the same time as any substrate accidentally picked up is collected harmlessly in the sump, to be cleaned out every year or two. For this tank I don't have to lift a single bucket for any reason.

I also like that with this method I am not using any more water than necessary.

RustyNut
12-24-2008, 03:49 PM
You can't hurt the fish by adding the dechlorinator first! You can add it at 5x the recommended dosage and not effect your fish! On the other hand, chlorine/chloramine can burn your fishes gills instantly.

desmobob
01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
i have read where a lot of people just put the dechlroinator in their tank and fill it direct from the sink but i'm afraid of hurting the fish doing it that way.

Steve

I've been doing it that way for over ten years now.... never a problem.

(I use a Python for vacuuming/water changes.)

Take care,
desmobob