PDA

View Full Version : water spots on glass cover

ticman
12-04-2003, 08:26 AM
I have a glass cover on my 54 gal corner tank. With every water change I obviously take it off and clean it. I have noticed some hard water spots on the glass that don't seem to come off with hard rubbing or even when using the algae pad to try and scrape it off.

I have been hesitant to use any type of solution other than water.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Mike

Rudy
12-04-2003, 09:02 AM
I use CLR. Then I just rinse it really good before I put it back on the tank. Alternatively you could use a low content mix of bleach and water.

If you don't want to chance it you can get aquarium safe cleaner from your lfs

giraffe hap
12-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Just use lemon juice...it is cheap to buy and it removes hard water spots without the use of anything that might harm your fish.

ticman
12-04-2003, 03:28 PM
thanks Rudy and Giraffe hap

will try it

I assume it can also be used as a general cleaner on the outside front glass also. For some reason I seem to remember that you shouldn't use anything but water to clean the exterior glass of the tank. Don't know where I remember it from

Mike

giraffe hap
12-04-2003, 05:31 PM
I think that might apply to acrylic tanks and not to glass tanks because there are some cleaning products that can cause discoloration. You can use glass cleaner on the outside of a glass tank that shouldn't be a problem at all.

Good Luck.

merlyn2221
12-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Me too, giraffe! I swear by the lemon juice. It works like a charm and has no "chemical" effects.

chc
12-04-2003, 10:56 PM
I would caution anyone about using any cleansers on even the front pane of glass. Chemicals can aspirate into the air and find themselves in the tank water.

There are many safe ways to clean the tanks (lemon juice, as noted above, specially manufactured "fish safe" products, etc.), but I find a rinse with a wet towel and a swipe with a squeegee (?) does just fine.

ticman
12-05-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks again,

I tried the lemon juice on the tank cover and it worked great. Will use it for front to tank too.

Thanks Chc now I remember about not using chemical esp sprays as mist could get some chemicals into the tank

Mike