PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Venustus

Cichlid_Fan
12-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Got home form work and noticed my venustus swimming at the top of the tank in the back corner. He isn't eating and has some red blotches on his caudel fin where the fin meets the body. The top of his head between the eyes also has a reddish tinge to it, but it is not raw. All his fins are extended and is breathing quickly. He still has good color and swims around. If I go up to where he is an move my finger towards the tank he swims off, but will swim back to the corner after a few minutes.

Earlier this week I was syphoning some water out and he swam up to the hose when I wasn't looking at practically got sucked in, but he quickly swam off. I could feel the hose jerk when he hit it. I took a good look at him and didn't see any wounds of the sort and he continued to eat and swim normally until today.

:nervous:

Cichlid_Fan
12-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Well, I just looked at him again and he's swimming around. His fins aren't clamped, but not extended either.

Now I noticed a small bulge just before his anal fin.

:nervous:

Cichlid_Fan
12-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Anyone....?

CichlidLover33
12-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Sounds like either bloat or an internal parasite. Melafix is a good treatment for a parasite, but I am not 100% sure on the bloat. Maybe do a search. Do the Venestus need a veggie diet like a lot of malawis? If so, you may be feeding a bit too much protein.

Cichlid_Fan
12-04-2003, 05:30 AM
R.I.P.

Sorry little guy.:bawl:

merlyn2221
12-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your fish. My venustus is one of my oldest and most favorite fish.

It sounds like this fish definately had bloat and posibbly some type of internal bacterial infection as well (considering the bloody spots on the base of the fin and on other parts of the body). Bloat is one way or the other; it either kills fast or causes the fish to linger in agony for weeks (unless you euthanize it).
I would be really careful to watch the other fish in the tank to see if they act any differently or stop eating. If they do, I would isolate them immediately and treat them with metronidazole to combat possible Bloat.

merlyn2221
12-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Oh, almost forgot...

What were you feeding the fish? If you feed live foods, sometimes they are infested with parasites. Venustus can tolerate high amonts of protein, but some food items may still not be good to feed, just because they are protein rich.

Cichlid_Fan
12-04-2003, 08:12 PM
Well I was feeding them shrimp pellets(wardleys), brine shrimp and spirulina sticks(nutrafin).

Today I changed to a 3:1 mix, spirulina flake:cichlid flake.

The poop is stringy and grey or brown depending on the fish. I only fed them a little bit today with a few spirulina sticks to try to ween them off the sticks because they love it. My s. fryeri/ahli is taking to the new flake program very well, almost as if he has never eaten.

They all ate today, but like I said in the first post it was very sudden, I saw him sick last night and he died shortly after.

What is bloat exactly. Is this a virus or a digestive disorder cause by incorrect diet?

If I do need it, where can I find this metronidazole?

Hopefully I can find another venestus as beautiful as he was.