PDA

View Full Version : what is the best 55 gal tank setup

sac39051
12-03-2003, 10:48 AM
i am planning on getting a 55 gallon tank in the near future and putting one green terror in it that will hopefully get large. i was wondering what the best, even more than necessary filtration system would be. i have a penguin on my 20 gal right now and its really loud unless i fill the water up way too high. so i probably dont want to go with the penguin or emperor, even though they do a decent job of keeping my water clean. i want a large filter that wont be noisy and does not require a lot of maintenence. a lot of people like aquaclear in the poll, would that be good? what size?

also, what brand and size heater would be the best choice?

tom
12-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi sac

First of all, concentrate on biological filtration: That's the make or break for your tank's inhabitants. If you do decide on Aquaclear, consider two filters--say a 500 and a 300, one at each extreme--for redundancy and to ensure better water coverage. Consider also doubling up on the sponge inserts in each.

I wouldn't automatically write off the Emperors, though: Take a look at some of the compelling arguments in favor of that option here: http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31

Heater: Ebo Jaeger. As reliable as they are (and they really are), I'd nevertheless opt for two 150 instead of a single 300 (250 EJ).

sac39051
12-03-2003, 12:42 PM
would i really need two filters? is there one single filter that would get the job done? the ac 500 is close to $80 and the ac 300 is liek $40! i am a college student and trying to do this an inexpensively as i can. i guess i have to do whats best for the fish though huh. thanx for your help

tom
12-03-2003, 01:02 PM
No, you don't necessarily have to have two filters; it's just a suggestion based on my preference. Given your budget consciousness and the prices you note, how about two AC 300s? That should be sufficient, especially if you keep a light bioload. Also: Look around the forum called "The Lounge" for discussions on buying equipment online.

ticman
12-04-2003, 08:23 AM
sac,

tom is correct. check out bigalsonline.com I bought my AC300 for $18.50. I buy most of my supplies and such online.

Mike

jims2cool
12-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Another good sitr for equipment is www.thatpetplace.com they have a great deals on filters I picked up a penguin 330 for under30$ with shipping. i feel you I'm a poor college student as well this site has ket me setup 4 tanks
Thanks
2cool