PDA

View Full Version : vaccuuming/water change difference

Cation
12-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Ok I was always under the impression (not from anyone at these forums) that when you do a water change it's the same as vacuuming the gravel. From reading around people do water changes about every week but gravel vacuuming about one a month. Does this sound right to you? When cycleing a tank should you not vacuum the gravel until water parameters are normal but still do water changes???? Sorry for all the newbie questions. The only tank I have is a 55gl for my pond fish to go in for the winter. The pond is a small one dont worry.

cichgirl
12-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Welcome! Actually, it's a matter of opinion... If you vacuum gravel while cycling the cycle process takes much longer... Personally, I wouldn't vacuum the gravel while cycling a tank unless I had to remove some of the debris for fish health during the spikes. I really only siphon the gravel every 2-3 weeks and regular water changes the rest of the time..

Actually if it's for the pond fish - take a rock or plant or something from the pond and throw it in your 55g- It will help to jumpstart your tank and reduce the length of the cycle... Hope this helps...

Cation
12-01-2003, 05:18 PM
No it isn't for the pond fish they have been inside scince october. I just mentioned the pond so you would know my experience with fish. They are only comets so they withstand the ammonia spike, the nitrite spike, and whatever else that goes on with the cycling. I was just wondering for when I set up a "real" tank that I will be getting around Christmas. Sorry for the confusion

cichgirl
12-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Ohhhh! Same goes anyway... :)
A new tank will take at least 4-6 weeks to cycle. In that time, try not to overstock the tank. If you don't overstock the tank you won't have such a nasty spike and can just perform regular water changes for the first month. Have fun!