PDA

View Full Version : need good filter system for 260 gallon tank

Jennifer
12-01-2003, 07:31 AM
Hello again

I was wondering if anyone knows of some good filter sytems that are good for a 260gal aquarium? I was thinking of using 2 fluval 404s but is there any others out there that are better and easy to maintain? Thanks for any help.

chc
12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Stock filters would be too inefficient IMO for such a tank. I would suggest you do some research on wet/dry filters. I favor such filters on any tank above 150 gallons or so (assuming they are not primarily planted tanks).

Dolphin Junior
12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
I'd agree with chc - wet/dry filters are the bomb!! You'll find most LFS use some form of wet/dry filter set up, and most would be more than happy to show you how it all works.

Some systems use a gravity feed and pump with the wet/dry filter under the tank whereby the main tank is set up with pipework where the tank water can overflow into, then gravity feed down to the wet and dry filter where it flows over layers of filter wool, activated carbon, bacteria colonies etc etc, scoria, what have you. Then the cleaned water flows into a holding area where a submergible pump is located and it pumps the clean water back up to the tank.

The other way to do this is to have a suction pump in the tank, that then flows the water back to the filter, and the clean water is then gravity fed back into the tank.

Of course, if you didnt want to have a top mounted filter tank, you can do a suction pump in the tank, and a submersible pump in the bottom mounted filter tank.

DJ