PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycling vs accelerated with fish cycling

North
11-29-2003, 07:30 AM
I've got a 125 setup and filled. It will eventually be a peacock & hap tank. I've been reading about fishless cycling vs traditional methods. I'm trying something a little unique.

I have a 1000 gallon koi pond in my backyard and have brought in a bunch of large rocks to use for decoration in the aquarium. They're obviously covered with bacteria and some algae. So I'm anticipated a somewhat accelerated cycling of the tank.

My question is whether I would be better off beginning today to follow the fishless cycling formula or whether I should go with a couple of fish, like a pleco and a couple of cichlids.

Based on my research of fishless cycling it seems to me that the advantages of it are faster cycling and the ability to add all (or at least a lot) of your cichlid community at once which will reduce aggression. But if I'm going to have a peacock/hap community the level of aggression will be far less than with mbuna. So is it really so essential?

Here's a shot of the tank with the pond rocks in the foreground center and left.

lupi2279
11-29-2003, 09:42 AM
You could alsu cycle with a supermarket shrimp (dead). popular in SW community