PDA

View Full Version : Experiment w/ my Powerhead

kirov
11-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Hi to all forum members. I hope someone could give me their opinion regarding a small project I just completed in my Golden Severum tank. (Filtration system: Underwater powerhead with external canister for sponge filtering)

Knowing that severums prefer more tranquilwaters, I added a rain bar (instead of a long airstone) to the aeration output tube of my powerhead to reduce the strong flow of bubbles. The waters are calmer now and there is still good water movement cased by the flow coming from the multiple holes. However I am quite apprehensive about the ff things I noticed w/ this new set-up:

1. Water is now coming out of the external air tube which is supposed to suck air for the motor.
2. No bubbles are coming out of the rain bar. Its just a continous flow (of water most probably--due to the lack of air)

I am afraid I am missing something here and I hope someone could help this newbie out.

Thanks!

Thanks!

chc
11-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Not sure I'm getting the picture, but it seems you are equating bubbles with oxygenation of the water. There's really no correlation there (though it would seem there would be). The more important part of oxygenation is how much of the water being allowed/forced to churn at the surface thereby facilitating a good exchange of gasses. Better put, is the entirety of the water circulating to the surface or is just the top layer, just a fraction of the total volume, circulating and exchanging at the surface?

Cichlid_Fan
11-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Usually a powerhead has an air INLET tube which allows air to be sucked into the water jet causing it to mix with air making the bubbles. If you connected a rain bar to it, then submerged the bar you would basically be sucking in water from the rain bar back into the jet from the powerhead. You wouldn't be reducing flow, just not allowing air to get in.

Secondly, the air is pulled into the jet of water after the impeller(motor), not before.

I hope this helps.

kirov
11-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Anyway I took the rain bar out and just redirected the bubble flow to minimize the water flow.:ok: