PDA

View Full Version : Tank Cycling how/did I speed the process?

conig
11-24-2003, 01:39 PM
O.k. well over the weekend I bought a 150 gallon fish tank. for filtration I have two penguin emperor systems and a sponge filter. The sponge filter was already established and I treated the water for chlorine before I added it to the tank. I used two bags of fresh gravel. and atleast a bags worth of established gravel from one of the tanks I've had a couple months.

I also used the two filter boxes in the biowheel and loaded them up with established gravel, my thoughts with this was that It would promote growth of bacteria on the biowheels, they have slowed down signifacantly in a couple of days.

Also with just a large pleco and my blue channel cat the water has that fishtank smell, not bad smelling water just not tap water.

By takeing these measures did I avoid the cycleing time?

1.established sponge filter
2. established gravel
3. slowed bio wheels.

Is it safe to add my other fish? or should I wait a while longer?

aharris
11-24-2003, 02:15 PM
You should have significantly reduced your cycle time. I would test all your water parameters just to make sure, but you could probably start adding fish depending on what they are. Make sure you test the water first though.

cichgirl
11-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Yes, I agree with aharris 100%. I have jumpstarted many tanks in my lifetime, and it cycles quickly and easily that way. As advised though, check all water parameters before adding fish. Go ahead and add a few if everything checks out after a few days. You are way ahead and may avoid high spikes altogether. The fish tank smell - if annoying can be decreased with a little activated carbon.

conig
11-24-2003, 02:58 PM
the smell is not that bad, since I have 12 tanks in my one bedroom setup, I tend to run a dehumidifier while at work and it appears keep the smell away.

conig
11-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Oh by the way, thanks for the help. the fish are pretty large, but I will add my pacu tonight.

chc
11-25-2003, 09:03 AM
The only way to be sure is to test the water....... and one test isn't enough as you need to track the peaking of ammonia and nitrite. With just one test, you can get a good result but can't be sure if you are completing or starting a cycle.

IME plecos don't do well in sketchy water, so I wouldn't push it without a series of water tests over a few days. Smelly water isn't a good sign usually.

Even so, you did give the tank a very good chance at a jump start. Good thinking!

conig
11-25-2003, 12:12 PM
well I tested it last night and this morning and it seems fine. I moved a bunch of fish to give them more room.

I took my jag form a 29 to his own 55gallon. and then moved my depsey to a 55 gallon with aseverum and blue lobster.

then put my angel pair in the 29gallon.

I will definately continue to watch the 150 over the course of the week.

thanks for all the help.