PDA

View Full Version : Can i mix Frontosas with Parrots?

htsang07
09-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I have had a 55 gal tank set up with three blood parrot cichlids in there and my siblings just recently bought two frontosas and put them in there, they have places to hide and everything and they've been living together for almost a month without and damage done to each other, i'm wondering if its bad to keep them together or if there would be any problems from doing that because i know they are two completely different fish.

I also have the tank set at 7.5 PH and 80 degree F. Would that be fine?

Thanks.

crazyfishlady
09-21-2008, 08:16 AM
I don't know anything about matching their diets & temperaments, because I have never kept fronts, but I do know that they'll outgrow that tank. You might be OK with just the parrots if they turn out to be parrots that stay smaller.

Fat42
09-23-2008, 05:40 AM
I definitely wouldn't keep your Frontosa's with parrot cichlids. I have observed many parrot cichlids displaying quite aggressive and overly dominant behaviour. The Frontosa's are extremely placid fish and would cop quite a beating from the parrots. It would survive, but would have a lot of 'tag' marks. Plus, if your Frontosa is stressed, he will grow slower and will be a very pale color silver and black and will not display the beautiful blue color they are capable of.

Also, the ideal water conditions for the two are quite different. The parrot tends to like slightly more acidic water.

the above is only my opinion and observations, and as we all know cichlids are funny creatures! Sometimes they are placid sometimes they are extremely mean! It's very hit and miss, so either way you go good luck!

Peeps
10-03-2008, 04:54 AM
You will be pretty overstocked. In my opinion I think three blood parrots, maybe four would be okay but fronts get to 14” and will need a 75 gallon to themselves. Parrots can be little buggers and fronts are very calm and don’t like a lot of movement. Like fat42 said they will become very stressed. So for your fronts I would get a 55 gallon to 75 gallon tank. Then I would keep the parrots by themselves in the 55 gallon. Another reason is the fronts and parrots have a different diet so it’s not a good idea to mix them, too many differences.