PDA

View Full Version : (future) Overstocked tank needs trimming

Richgsr
09-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey all,

New member here seeking some advice. Been reading quite a bit of the posts and I'm elated I found such an outstanding source for cichlid info. However, I do have a dilemma I need help with.

Unfortunately, I didn't see this site till AFTER I bought my cichlids and I now know that I have way too many for my 55g tank.

Here's my stocklist:
1 Salvini
1 GT
1 Parrot
1 Convict
1 Geophagus
1 Firemouth
1 Texas
1 JD
1 common pleco

All of these are 2" or under, except for the parrot and GT which are approximately 3". I know I can't keep all of these so I'm trying to decide which ones I can keep in the tank and keep healthy. I'll return the other fish, but I just wanted some advice on which one you all think I should keep (based on adult size/aggression). Ideally I'd like to be able to keep 4 or 5 but if that's not possible, then so be it.

I did consider returning/trading all the fish in for an African tank. I've heard Africans don't grow nearly as large. Any thoughts on this?

Tank has a fluval 405 and a AC50 for filtration so I'm pretty good on the filtration front. Doing water changes every 3-4 days (it's not a new tank, but my Fluval 404 just crashed so I'm basically restarting with the 405 and the AC is only 2 weeks old). Ammonia and nitrates are almost nil, but my nitrates are high (hoping the water changes will fix this).

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Rich

Jcushing
09-08-2008, 09:30 PM
i would remove the GT, texas, parrot, Geo, and pleco without even thinking about it. these are either the most aggressive (GT/texas) possibly too shy/ poor match (geo) get too big (common plecos will get pretty big and produce alot of waste wich is bad in a overstocked tank) or just plain ugly (personal opinion on the hybrid parrot)

you could at that point leave the rest that would leave you with a salvini, JD, firemouth, and a convict. once they start getting larger keep an eye on them, as this is still a tad bit much for a 55. if you see any aggression be prepared to remove a fish as there wont be much room to hide. theres not one of those 4 fish left that id say would be more likely to need to be removed, just a matter of the fishes personality

ozpkchris
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
well i ve been running a setup almost identical to urs for a couple of months now, alot of water changes and be skimpy on the food and even with this my nitrates are alway high, i have a 180 that is almost ready to house the fish. so if you are into buying a bigger tank you probably have a couple of months before things turn ugly. the nitrates will alwas be bad but those fish are gi=onna try to kill each other as they get bigger,,, :duel:

Richgsr
09-08-2008, 10:56 PM
That's kinda what I thought. I got the pleco mostly because I needed a "housekeeper" for the algae.

The GT and JD are already going after each other I think. The GT looks just beat up. Sigh...

Guess i'll have to start returning them this week.

Should I return them all and just go african????

cichgirl
09-09-2008, 06:05 AM
You can keep the jd, con and firemouth. You could throw in some dithers (fast moving) for movement if you think the tank looks empty. When the fish grow into the tank, it won't look empty at all.

Richgsr
09-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to return my fish to the lfs. Fortunately, they will give me credit for them and I can just pick out new fish. Maybe when I get a 125g i'll pursue raising south americans. But i guess i'm going african!

Jcushing
09-09-2008, 08:24 AM
african tanks certainly will have more activity, i find SA/CA fish more interesing because of their personalities. they just dont like to be crowded like mbuna do.

if this was a display tank though i could see why you would want africans.

Richgsr
09-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I returned the Parrot, Firemouth, the JD, and the black Convict.

I know this still leaves me 2 soon to be very large fish to deal with. I'm looking to get at least 75 or 125 a year or so from now so I hope that's enough time to let what I have grow out and eventually move them to a bigger tank.

jombi21
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
It's hard to give fish up, but it was for the best.
Go 125! :razz: ...if you can.

Jom