PDA

View Full Version : How do I treat Ich?

Fishman02
11-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Ok, so its only been a week and I have an infected rock, air bubbles all over the tank, and to top it off, all my fish have small white spots or bubbles on their fins. I initially thought it was food caught in 1 of their fins, but upon inspection they all seem to have this. I assume its ich based on my research. How do I treat this? Do I have to remove the carbon? If I change the water, do I have to leave the bio-wheels from my filter in the tank to keep the bacterial? I'm totally lost. I

I have an Emperor 400

cichgirl
11-21-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi Fishman,
Don't worry.. Everyone on this forum has had to treat ich at one time or another. It isn't a death sentence, but can kill if left untreated. I would remove the carbon for the treatment. Get some ich medicine at the lfs & treat the tank according to the directions. Make sure that the stuff that you get doesn't harm biological filters - it will tell you on the label. You should leave the bio-wheels in place. You will have to do daily water changes and repeat the recommended dosage after each water change. You will have to do this for 5 days after the last of the symptoms disappear. Make sure that your temperature & ph stays as stable as possible during the treatment. I hope this helps you...

Fishman02
11-21-2003, 02:02 PM
this may sound dumb, but aside from you guys, I've never even changed the water. I assume I take off the tops/lights, take out the heater and take off the filter??? I have the python, but how do I refill the tank and put declorinator in at same time? Why do I leave the carbon off for the medicine? I'm a little confused?

cichgirl
11-21-2003, 02:21 PM
You don't need to take out the heater and the filter.. They can both stay on. I take off the lights and the top and siphon the water into a bucket. You're only going to need to syphon out only 1/4 of the water - don't let the water level get below your intake for your filter. You can add the dechlorinator right before or after you refill, if you can't do it at the same time...

The carbon will most likely reduce the effectiveness of the medicine.

How are the fish acting? Any clamped fins or heavy respiration?

Fishman02
11-21-2003, 04:04 PM
the yellow lab has some heavy respiration but the other fish seem ok. I will get some medicine and start the treatment tonight. i will report back. Thanks for you help