PDA

View Full Version : Help...getting a 30 gal tank!

CrunchyEarthMommy
08-13-2008, 02:50 PM
As you all know, we just rescued 3 convicts, and have them in a 10 gal. tank. I posted on the local Freecycle, and someone's giving us a 30 gal., that DH is going to pick up today. I need to get a new lid, and all the accessories...so, what is the best I can get, keeping a budget in mind? I feel sooooo lost!!

P.S...30 gal. IS the biggest I'm going, so don't try and convince me otherwise! :rofl:

Mac
08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Most 30 gallon tanks are 36" long. For this kind of tank, here's the best value for hood plus light, at $32.99:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754541

The hood makes it easy to feed fish, provide light, and has cutouts in the back you can snap off to make room for filters, heaters, etc.

On bigger tanks, there'd be fancier suggestions, but this will get the job done within a reasonable budget.

Hint: above the light (on the underside of the hood) is plain white plastic. If you line that plastic with the shiny side of aluminum foil, you'll get more light reflecting into the tank.

DoctorV
08-13-2008, 03:55 PM
You will need a filter, too!
You will want to have a so-called HOB (hanging on the back? I guess LOL), like the one you have on your 10g. You won't be able to use the one you have on the 30 as a permanent one (but you will want to use it, or at least all media from it, to boost the cycling in the new 30). The reason is that you would want to keep the filtration ratio roughly 1:10, and I mean here the ratio between the volume of your tank (30 gallon) and the volume of water moved by the filter in 1 hour (about 300 g/h). The latter is usually displayed on the filter box or/and in the manual. I personally have AquaClear as all my HOBs. I suspect that AC70 model (rated to tank up to 70 gallons) will be a good choice. However, you will find a lot of different brands, search this site for "HOB" and you could read threads discussing filtration equipment in depth.
Also, you would want to get a more powerful heater for a larger tank.

There is a flip side to getting everything new for the new tank. And it's all good :). By doing so you will have a perfectly operational 10 gallon at your disposal. One not so sunny day you may need a hospital tank to temporarily transfer one of your sick or bullied fish for treatment/recuperation. You will find that spare fully equipped 10 gallon to be a blessing.

Welcome to the cichlid lala land. Nobody said it's gonna be easy :edance:.

Good luck,
Val

CrunchyEarthMommy
08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Another question...we filled the tank to check for leaks, and it IS leaking. It appears that someone has attempted to re-caulk it, and did a bad job. :P Do we need specialized aquarium caulk, or could we use silicone caulk?

Glaive
08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
You'll be fine with GE type I windows and doors. Check to make sure that it is not the mildew resistant variety.

http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?t=14763

Jcushing
08-13-2008, 10:18 PM
i used a penguin 350b on my 30 with good results...

Cheapeeper
08-31-2008, 04:04 PM
They sell silicone for aquariums at the local fish store. It is specifically made for use in aquariums and is fairly cheap. Just use a razor and cut out the inner silicone and re-do it with the aquarium silicone. fairly easy and cheap. :rock:

malawiblue
09-27-2008, 11:27 PM
ge silicone 1 silver trimmed white caulking tube $4 at home depot. All-glass silicone is 10 for small tube at my lfs.

The marineland glass are worth the extra cash ($5 extra) measure it because I got one from craigslist that was supposed to be a 30 but turned out to be a 29gal (30 inches wide) if you have a petsmart around you the glass lid for a 29g is only $16 but a 30g is $24. for lights I bought a 24" home depot fixture until I could get a nice one. $9- the bulbs are where you want to spend the money for a cheaper setup.