PDA

View Full Version : Pangea "Back to Nature" Backgrounds?

North
11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with Pangea "Back to Nature" aquarium backgrounds? Ordering/shipping experience, installation, etc.

They look incredible, although quite expensive.

Web site: http://pangeashop.com/

merlyn2221
11-17-2003, 10:16 PM
They use this background in every display tank at my favorite lfs. The owner showed me how he installed them. It is siliconed to the back of the tank and the filtration tubes are concealed in cut outs behind it. There are pieces of it that have been specially cut so they fit like a puzzle and you can remove these to get at the filter tubes to clean them. The water quality is not affected by them, and they are durable (supposedly lasting for many years). I, too, think they look awesome in the tank and the fish love them. They treat it just like real rocks. I also know that they were very expensive, as you have already mentioned!

Mbuniac
11-18-2003, 02:35 AM
That is gorgeous! Or "guwjus" if you happen to be from "Joisey".:)
How expensive is expensive? I seemed to be having a little trouble navigating their site. What is it made of and how would you clean it?
Sam

mench
11-18-2003, 10:32 AM
I also was looking into these great backgrounds.I was in contact with some fish people in Europe and was quoted two different prices for my 4 ft by 19 in tank..on was around $400 and the other was around $200.Then you have to add shipping,just a tad too pricey for me,but they are great looking.

Mench

Mbuniac
11-18-2003, 02:14 PM
You're right, they are really great looking! I would love to have the Malawi one, but just a bit out of my budget range unfortunately.
Thanks, Sam

Rudy
11-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Count me out of any decoration that is worth more than my tank...

They don't give that stuff away hey??

351 usd for a 180 gallon tank?

cichgirl
11-18-2003, 03:49 PM
I wanted one until I saw the price. What burns my biscuits is they are made of polyeurthane (sp?) and are only probably really worth only $5.00 If I figure out a good way to make one-- I'll post. I was thinking of a clay mould - but I am not sure if plaster is harmful to fish. I have some research to do.... Anybody know if acrylic paint is safe for aqua critters?

Rudy
11-18-2003, 04:36 PM
There are a lot of people that use styrofoam background. basically carve it and use silicone and sand to cover it. Some I have seen look really good.

merlyn2221
11-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Mbuniac
That is gorgeous! Or "guwjus" if you happen to be from "Joisey".:)
How expensive is expensive? I seemed to be having a little trouble navigating their site. What is it made of and how would you clean it?
Sam

Alright, was that directed towards, me, Sam-I-Am? :lol: I don't have that Jersey "twang" and I don't say "warsh" instead of "wash" either. I have more of a NYJPA type accent.

I think the owner of the lfs where I first saw it told me he got the one for his corner display tank for around $1000. I think the tank is about 300g or more. (Will have to get a pic.) Apparently it was a special order, but don't know if he used the supplier in the link. (Although I can't imagine who else makes this stuff. The one in the tank looks exactly like one on the website.) Will let you know for sure

Mbuniac
11-19-2003, 02:13 AM
Why merlynn, how could you even think that of little ole me? I would never tease you or SGM about your NJ/NY accents. Do you live near thoighty thoid and thoid streets?:D
Sam

Overawed
11-19-2003, 09:48 AM
you can actually build those yourself. Its not that hard. You have to start with a new tank though to make it right. Remember, stryofoam is very boyant.

A friend of mine in Miami cutes holes in his styro then adds concrete to make the rocks. He builds these all the time for clients and they look much much better than the BTN backgrounds.

mench
11-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Ok then,what is the name of your friend? And will he make them for other fish nuts,if we send the deminsions of the tank???

Mench

Overawed
11-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Yes he makes them but only for local customers, he works at the big aquarium in Miami, there is a post at another cichlid forum, but I am not allowed to cross post. PM me about.

tom
11-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Overawed
but I am not allowed to cross post. PM me about.

Can you post a direct link to the thread in question?

In the meantime, here's a step-by-step DYI background by DonnieP of catfishhheaven.net:

http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2679

merlyn2221
11-19-2003, 09:01 PM
But if you siliconed (with aqaurium silicone, of course) the styro to the back of the tank, wouldn't that keep it from floating?

I'm loving the idea of being able to cut out my own rocks and stuff, but then I started thinking...

There is nowhere for the fish to hide in caves. Does this mean that no one really has a territory, and if so, does that cut down on aggression, or increase it in a tank with this type of background?

Mbuniac
11-20-2003, 02:58 AM
merlyn,
As easy as styrofoam is to work you could probably deepen the crevices and dig out caves with overhangs. Even connecting caves with care. I am thoroughly impressed, but don't see how it would work with my canister and powerfilters. Any suggestions?
Sam

Overawed
11-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Sorry to imply that cross posting from another forum was illegal, I thought I was at that forum in fact and not this one. Geeboy thats what I get for having 6 windows of cuichlid forums open. LOL. Just have to keep an eye out for what the other guys are up too. LOL

ferdelance
11-20-2003, 09:37 PM
Those Danes sure make some great backgrounds,ja,ja- but I think we should call the Web site police on them! Its a shame they are so expensive-it looks like they are able to sell them for those prices though.

lupi2279
11-26-2003, 04:56 PM
I made the styro background. It was quite easy. In fact I def recomend NOT to get too creative w caves and such. basic carving of rock shapes work best - its the melting that gives them the natural look. I detail more in this thread http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3160
pic of background isnt great (rocks in front). Some dont like that the styro takes up space, but so do real rocks... filters can be worked around