PDA

View Full Version : Frontosa Not Eating!!

ckar
11-17-2003, 09:35 AM
I have a mixed 60 gal of Malawi and Tanganikan Cichlids. The tank has been operating without a casualty for over 3 years now, and all fish have been there since the tank was first cycled. In the last two or three days it is almost as if my Frontosa has forgotten how to eat! He used to be quite ravenous about feeding time, and mostly skimmed off of the top. Now he seems uninterested, and when a flake does happen to make it to his mouth, he just blows it right back out. All of the other fish in the tank are acting normal and appear quite healthy. In fact, the Frontosa appears very healthy too. No clamped fins or blemishes at all! Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks.

SGypsyMermaid
11-17-2003, 11:13 AM
what foods are you offering to him? you may need to tempt him with something special like live brine shrimp?

ckar
11-17-2003, 11:21 AM
I feed them almost exclusively HBH Graze Flake (A good Veggie Flake). I have been told that these fish are herbivorous and that too much meat protein isn't good for their digestive tracts. How often would you recommend that I treat them to brine shrimp?

SGypsyMermaid
11-17-2003, 12:02 PM
many african cichlids are herbivores, but not all of them. frontosas are piscivores(fish eaters). they need protein. your front is probably bored to tears with the rabbit food...give him some krill, plankton, brine shrimp, mysis, etc.

ckar
11-17-2003, 12:13 PM
I'll give him some today. Hopefully it'll peak his interest. It just seems odd that all of the sudden (after 3+ years) he has decided not to eat. Thanks for the info.

Cichlid_Fan
11-18-2003, 06:30 PM
You can even try some tuffies occasionally.

Now you may either say ok or cringe at the thought of puting feeders in your tank.

ckar
11-18-2003, 09:19 PM
I tried some frozen brine shrimp yesterday. He loved 'em. My predicament is that there is an Electric Blue, 4 Brichardi's, and a Rusty Cichlid in the tank with the Frontosa. How do I feed the Frontosa brine, pellets, or any other suitable food without having the others eat it as well? I keep getting conflicting information about proper diets for them. Some say that a veggie diet and little or no meat is best. Am I going to to eventually have to separate the Frontosa? Feeders would be an option, but I'm afraid that they might introduce disease to the tank!

merlyn2221
11-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ckar
Feeders would be an option, but I'm afraid that they might introduce disease to the tank!

Eeeewwwww! Don't use those dirty, nasty, diseased things!

I have a mixed tank (herbivores/carnivores) and there is not a problem with a diet that is about 30-45% protein. You can supplement his intake of protein by only giving "treats" once a week. If you train him to go to a certain area of the tank, and chase the others away with the net and give them their veggie flakes. You won't have to worry too much about accidental overdose of protein, but of course this is not the most sophisticated way of doing things! :rolleyes: It is however the method I use for giving my Calvus a treat and keep the veggie hoarde at bay.

ckar
11-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the reassurance! I bought some frozen brine shrimp and broke off a bite-sized chunk for my Frontosa today. I basically dropped it right in front of his nose and he slurped it right up! Worked like a charm. I suppose that'll be the method of feeding from here on out. He'll have absolutely nothing to do with the HBH Veggie Flake that I feed to the others. I'll be heading to the fish place tomorrow to buy some sort of pellet food for him. I doubt that Brine Shrimp would be sufficient on a daily basis?? I feed the fish once per-day.

Cichlid_Fan
11-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by merlyn2221
Eeeewwwww! Don't use those dirty, nasty, diseased things!

See, I knew someone would have something to say about this. Not all of them are diseased, only about 90%.:wink: And, from what I have been told, have no nutritional value.

Sorry I suggested it, I should know better and I am happy to see that your Frontosa is eating again.

I think your method will work fine. I have always let it thaw in a cup before feeding.

SGypsyMermaid
11-25-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ckar
I tried some frozen brine shrimp yesterday. He loved 'em. My predicament is that there is an Electric Blue, 4 Brichardi's, and a Rusty Cichlid in the tank with the Frontosa. How do I feed the Frontosa brine, pellets, or any other suitable food without having the others eat it as well? I keep getting conflicting information about proper diets for them. Some say that a veggie diet and little or no meat is best. Am I going to to eventually have to separate the Frontosa? Feeders would be an option, but I'm afraid that they might introduce disease to the tank!

all of the fish that you mention here can handle the extra protein, so you don't have to worry about them getting treats, also. research their dietary requirements by doing google searches; for instance, search "brichardi feeding" without the quotation marks, or "iodotropheus sprengerae diet".

Elpescado
12-18-2003, 06:21 PM
I heard that feeding your cichlids feeders make them more agressive. Is that true?

SGypsyMermaid
12-18-2003, 06:58 PM
it also gets them into the habit of hunting fry.

Cichlid_Fan
12-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Well, the two reasons you don't need feeders is they have no nutritional value and they're carriers for disease.

Matt