ozpkchris
07-28-2008, 08:56 AM
so those of you who have large cichlid tanks

If you used an ugj how has it worked out for you

If you don't have one do you want one

And what about circulating powerheqds anyone using those on the bottom instead

TNprogrammer
07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I know that with the advent of the bio wheel the UGF with jets has kind of lost it's luster, but I have used this setup for 16 years, ever since I got into raising cichlids in college. My smallest tank(40gal) has an ugf with one power head blowing across the top of the water on the opposite side of the tank from the penguin hob/bio wheel filter. My largest tank (125 gal) has an ugf with three power heads blowing across the top of the tank along with the Penguin hog/bio wheel filter. Also, I've used crushed coral as my substrate for the past 8 years or so. It's hard to get completely clean when setting up the tank, but the water clears in only a couple of hours. I've had great success with this arrangement. I've never tried putting the jet near the bottom of the tank, though.

Steve C
07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
I've used USJ (as Rusty calls them) on my 55 Mbuna tank, and my 33 long Buffalo cichlid tank and they worked great. My 33 was powered by a mag drive 7 (again thanks to RustyNut) and the 55 by a Maxi Jet powerhead.

If you plan to use them, take your time planning them out. For a 125 use 2 closed loop systems with 2 power heads. Picture how you plan on setting up your rocks and then plan to aim the jets at dead spots near rocks and especially corners.

Keep in mind the main object is to keep particles suspended so your filters can get to them.

If you don't feel like messing with PVC, Seio power heads work great as well.

marktheshark
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I run UGJ in my 75g. It's powered by a Mag-Drive 9.5. 6 jets and the fish love to swim in the current and it makes cleaning a snap! Well worth it IMO!