PDA

View Full Version : mixing other fish with cichlids

thewizard323
11-14-2003, 12:44 PM
I was woundering, I have a Red-tailed black shark, one pleco, 2 Chinese algae eaters, 1 corydoras melanistius, 2 serpe tetras, and 8 white clouds, currently they are all in the tank with my juv cichlids 6 of them. When my cichlids get bigger are they going be able to co exist? I don't want any of the fish exept mabe the pleco, shark and the cory in the tank with them really, just right now don't have another tank big enough for the others, but if possible would like to keep the ones I mentioned in the same tank as the cichlids if possible. all the cichlids are from lake malawi I believe, know atleast 2 are so I assume the others should be too since they were in the same tank?! Right now the Shark definatly is the boss, they wont even try to stand there ground against them, but they will with all the others exept the pleco, and chinese eaters, they don't make them get out of there way. The shark is about 4" now, and the pleco is about 5", the alge eaters are like 3.75" and 4" right now and my cichlids are about a 1" now.
Thanks!

aharris
11-14-2003, 03:11 PM
It greatly depends on what your cichlids are. If you could identify them for us, we could help you better. Off-hand, I would say that the pleco (depending on what type it is) will most likely be fine. Some plecos can't handle hard water, so that's why knowing what kind it is is so important. The cichlids shouldn't bother it otherwise. The cory will have a rough time of it most likely. Corys don't like hard water at all, and will likely be picked on very badly. I'm not sure about the shark, but I have heard of some people who have kept them with cichlids before.

thewizard323
11-14-2003, 09:42 PM
One of the ones I know is a Bumble Bee, the other is a Red Zebra, 2 others mabe Red Zebras with spots, littlest one looks like he is getting some yellow in him, so mabe gonna be a Bumble Bee also? or are they all yellow and black stripes from fry up? The biggest one I dunno, it looks kinda like brown, but mabe like a lavender, his fins all have like a blueish tint under bright light. Might be able to tell better in a month or 2, hopefully!:confused:
As goes the Pleco, I saw one in a book that looked like one it called a Suckermouth... Don't know that much about them, my brother actually bought it about 6 months ago and he is about 5" or so now. No one has seemed to bother the cory and I heard they wont fight back at all, he might just have to goto another tank.

merlyn2221
11-15-2003, 08:49 PM
The tetras will be toast in a tank with cichlids! So will the others. Besides, tetras natural water conditions are much lower pH than Afrincans.