PDA

View Full Version : Moving - Best way to move a tank

Todd Copeland
11-10-2003, 02:31 PM
What's the best way to move a 30 gallon tank? Have 4 Cichlids.

Thanks

Overawed
11-10-2003, 02:58 PM
How far are you moving? If not far you can just take out 50 percent of the water and remove all the heavier rocks. Then you will be able to lift the tank and move it to your new place, being careful not to tip it over.

You might consider putting your fish in a cooler with a battery aerator to keep the water moving if you are moving a long distance.

merlyn2221
11-11-2003, 05:37 PM
You could browse this thread that has suggestions on the same subject.
http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2297&highlight=moving

Mbuniac
11-11-2003, 08:17 PM
When I moved a 9" Protomelas taeniolatus from Idaho to ca, I used a new 5 gal bucket with snap on lid from Home Depot(I cleaned it without soap). I drilled several holes in the lid to let the air hose from my battery air pump in with airstone, and air out. I wrapped the bucket in towels and put it in a plastic garbage bag to keep it warm. I also used a product called "Bag Buddies" in the water. It is a mild sedative, and the fish stayed calm for the 13 hrs. it took to get him home. LOL, Sam

Mbuniac
11-11-2003, 08:24 PM
P.S.
If you are moving a substantial distance, do not reuse the water you carry your fish in. It will have an extremely high ammonia content by the time you arrive. If I had to go farther I would have brought another bucket of water to change.

merlyn2221
11-11-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm trying bag buddies the next time I get stressed!

But seriously, that's something I should have mentioned. I use it all the time to ship fish.

Mbuniac
11-12-2003, 12:27 AM
:rofl: With the hell my ex and her atty. are putting me thru, that might be just what I need. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I've got almost a full bottle. What do you think merl? About 20 pills should do the trick, right? Actually.....when I think about it, it's not so bad. She did let me keep my aquariums, my computer, 2 milk crates and a sleeping bag. :)

merlyn2221
11-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Um, Sam, that's a good way to look at it.
NOT! That really stinks! But then again, only the fish matter, right? Plus think about it, once all is said and done, if you want to pick up cute girls you can always ask them, "Wanna come in an see my tanks?" :lmao:

Seriously, hope it doesn't go on too long or end up badly. My brother is just starting his divorce, and she's evil, so I kind of know how you feel. :mad:

Mbuniac
11-13-2003, 02:46 AM
Since there are ladies present, I won't voice my feelings about my ex. I just hope the fish don't end up feeding me instead of me feeding them. Actually I exagerated "a bit" on the division of household goods. "The Red-Headed Killer B*tch From H*ll" only took half. Hope I don't get censured for that.:rolleyes:
Sam

SGypsyMermaid
11-13-2003, 12:21 PM
i gotta disagree with OA and merlyn, here...you should never move a tank larger than a 10 gallon with water or rocks in it. too big a risk of breakage or bottomfalloutage.:D

Overawed
11-13-2003, 12:44 PM
HeySGM! Glad to see ya!

I didn't mean it the way it sounded. Yes, you are right BTW. Hope your surgery goes more than well!

SGypsyMermaid
11-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Overawed
HeySGM! Glad to see ya!

I didn't mean it the way it sounded. Yes, you are right BTW. Hope your surgery goes more than well!

thanks, OA...i'll be glad when it's behind me.

Overawed
11-13-2003, 01:37 PM
I will be too SGM. Thinking about ya all the time, and praying for the best.

tom
11-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by SGypsyMermaid
bottomfalloutage.:D

bot' emfolou'tij

n.

1. Consequence of moving heavy items in an aquarium tank.

2. Legal. Mbuniac sl. Consequence of divorcing "The Red-Headed Killer B*tch From H*ll"

[Middle English lostarse, from Old English bootme.]

aharris
11-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Never, ever move a tank with water in it!! I moved a 20g to my new college apartment one year with water in it, and about five minutes after being filled again, it burst, spilling water all over the front-room carpet. It took days to dry out, and robbed my wallet of $100 in replacement tank before the college year even started!

Put the fish and the filter in a bucket and dry the tank out. Use the inside of the tank as extra move space for other very well-cushioned things, but never leave water sloshing in it. It weakens the integrity of the glass.

SGypsyMermaid
11-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by tom
bot' emfolou'tij

n.

1. Consequence of moving heavy items in an aquarium tank.

2. Legal. Mbuniac sl. Consequence of divorcing "The Red-Headed Killer B*tch From H*ll"

[Middle English lostarse, from Old English bootme.]

:rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2:

cichgirl
11-13-2003, 04:05 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Great word sgm, tom-- great explanation! LOL :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

aharris
11-13-2003, 04:45 PM
Doesn't the Times have a contest for made up words every year? Maybe you should send that one in. It's great.

Mbuniac
11-13-2003, 08:20 PM
bottomfalloutage.:D
:D It's amazing how my vocabulary has increased since I started on this forum!

merlyn2221
11-14-2003, 07:33 PM
i gotta disagree with OA and merlyn, here...you should never move a tank larger than a 10 gallon with water or rocks in it. too big a risk of breakage or bottomfalloutage.:D

Great to see you back!

Just to clarify:
I didn't say to move the tank with the water in it, I meant keep the tank water for the move. I then gave him a link where we had previously discussed moving a tank (in bins with tank water). As you so aptly put it, that would lead to "bottomfalloutage" or at the least, leakage later on! :lol:

merlyn2221
11-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Tom, so glad to see you haven't recovered from your "illness." :rofl2:"

I though it was from the Latin though:
screwedupicus matrimonious shirtlessicus

I think you can easily translate that one!

SGypsyMermaid
11-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by merlyn2221
Great to see you back!

Just to clarify:
I didn't say to move the tank with the water in it, I meant keep the tank water for the move. I then gave him a link where we had previously discussed moving a tank (in bins with tank water). As you so aptly put it, that would lead to "bottomfalloutage" or at the least, leakage later on! :lol:

don't ask me where i got the idea that you said that. :oops: it's all sam-i-am's fault, anyway!

merlyn2221
11-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Yes, I agree, it is always Sam's fault. :lol:

Isn't that right Sam-I-Am???

:D

Mbuniac
11-19-2003, 02:07 AM
HEY!
Well....okay, there is always a possibility that I'm at fault. I'll at least admit to that, but just think how boring it would be without me around. You would not believe how hard it is to type with your foot in your mouth.:rolleyes: And by the way,
Sam-I-Am

merlyn2221
11-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Ah, see now, you are RIGHT!

It would definately be boring without you! :razz: :wink:

And what's the matter with typing with your foot in your mouth? Most people I know (including me!) do it all the time!

:lol:

Mbuniac
11-20-2003, 03:04 AM
I'm old! I have to use both hands to hold my foot in place and I keep hitting the enter key with my right elbow:) Gee, I can't wait to try this when I put both feet in my mouth!:D
Sam

Jessbabe03
12-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Well, think of this. Most fish are shiped to fish stores in bags with a lot of air in them. Most of the fish have not had any thing to eat in a while. My advice to you is to get some bags from a fish store, fill them up with tank water, and air. Also put them in a big box so they won't be able to see out. If they see out they may get stressed out and die. DON't move the tank with the fish in there still. It may break. Best of luck!

Jessica

Polarhound
02-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Jessbabe03
Well, think of this. Most fish are shiped to fish stores in bags with a lot of air in them. Most of the fish have not had any thing to eat in a while. My advice to you is to get some bags from a fish store, fill them up with tank water, and air. Also put them in a big box so they won't be able to see out. If they see out they may get stressed out and die. DON't move the tank with the fish in there still. It may break.

And what sort of bag would you use to move a 4' lungfish? :)

When a friend of mine moved a few months ago, we had 13 tanks totalling a little under a thousand gallons to move.

We went to the local discount warehouse and bought 10 25gal tupperware containers with locking lids and 10 5 gallon buckets, also with locking lids.

Altogether it took 5 of us a little under 6 hours to drain water into the tupperware containers (half full only), transfer the fish, empty the gravel, decorations, and more water into the 5gal buckets, clean the insides of the tank with the hose outdoors before loading them up into 3 vans/pickup trucks, then reversing the whole procedure at the other end. Thankfully there were no saltwater tanks involved.

Included in the move:

46" lungfish
16" 10" and 6" buttikoferi
2 12" oscars
and about 40 other misc fish.

AlvinV
02-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey SGM, get a "bottomfalloutage" combined with the plastic bags full of air and water...we may have an attempted "SharkBaitescapage" (ala Finding Nemo)? :D

As for my two cents with this move thing...I used old protein shake buckets from my brother with holes punched in them for air...just make sure you aren't going too far.