PDA

View Full Version : New Central American Tank Setup

Roman the Barbarian
11-08-2003, 11:24 PM
I have a bare empty 4 foot 200 Litre tank ( 45 Gallons ).

My idea is to setup a Central American Cichlid tank and want to have it set up exactly as it would be in Central American waters.

Therefore all fish from that region, water conditions, gravel, plants, food, etc.

I like Firemouths and Convicts and will probably have a few young ones of each.

My question is what else can I put in there?
How about any algae-eating catfish types native to the region? Any non-cichlid upper-water dwelling dither types from that region?

Do I need to be lake specific? I would like to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rex Karr
11-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Thats a great idea you have there. There are many different lakes and rivers that you could use as a model for your biotope aquarium. Have you decided to definantly keep Firemouths and Convicts? You might try a pair of Nicaraguense and a couple Nanoluteus or Black Convicts.

Cichlid_Fan
11-15-2003, 03:19 PM
The Managuense is also an elegant fish, but very aggressive. Beware of this one, at 13.5" they tend to bite you when your cleaning the tank and not paying attention.:mad:

Other's you could try are the Texas Cichlid(from texas) and Port Cichlid although I find the Port to be very timid.

Good luck on your tank set up.

davoz
11-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Roman Check out mongabay.com (http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_central_america_lake.htm) they hav lots of info on setting up a bio-tope aquarium. I's skip the convicts they are soo comon. Rex had a great suggestion on the "nics" I just sold my wild trio. They are pretty calm and awesome looking. Or Sajica they are great also. Avoid Neematopus if you see them they are extremely aggressive.

ludwig
12-13-2003, 08:06 AM
those nicaraguenses would be good,and they get really nice looking,.

lymburner
12-29-2003, 01:09 PM
if you go with cons and firemouths there might be some hybridization so be careful