PDA

View Full Version : AC 300 rattling - new impellor?

Midas
11-08-2003, 09:45 PM
My AC300 has started to develop a rattle from the motor/ impellor area. AC's seem to be quite popular with alot of you guys so I thought someone here may have had a similar problem, or that it may be a common problem with AC's?? Its about 5 years old now and the impellor and impellor housing gets cleaned about every month, so it's not due to dirt, probably just old. I was contemplating buy a new impellor for it to see if that would fix the problem. What would you guys recommend?

merlyn2221
11-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Buy the new impeller. That is what usually causes the problem. The magnet wears out after about that time. I just had to replace one on my old AC300 after-are you ready for this?-after 17 years! (Of course it hasn't been in constant use all that time, but still...)
Unfortunately, I used to get about 8-10 years out of my impellers in the past, but just like all things these days, the manufacturing has somewhat declined. I still love my ACs, though, and they are easy, and inexpensive to repair.

Beware, sand substrates will wreak havoc on any filter's impeller. I have a new AC300 on my 55g tank, that the fish have successfully thrown enough sand in to make it rattle already. No matter how much I raise the strainer, my Tropheus moori "kachese" will get a mouthful of sand and literally throw it at the filter intake tube so all the sand gets sucked in. I clean mine once a week too, but every time she does this, the impeller rattles and grinds until I clean it.

Overawed
11-11-2003, 01:43 PM
I have found that the Emperor 400's impeller works best with sand. It gets a ton of sand in there and it still stays silent. My penguin 300 on the other hand is louder than a train.

merlyn2221
11-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the information, I am going to try it.

Midas
11-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll try a new impellor

DR.J
11-13-2003, 07:47 PM
First of, you really shouldnt have a power head filter on a tank with sand.Although you might not hear rattling in an empororor aqua clear,its still getting damaged by sand.The best filter for aquariums with sand in my opinion would be a fluval.But also in my opinion i would just take the ac 300 off the tank and then clean it out in the sink rinse it out really good, and it should be fine.I dont think you need to buy another impellar.Theres just a ball of sand caught somwhere in or near it.

DR.J
11-13-2003, 07:49 PM
emperor. i dont why it said ororor lol.Gl with the filter

Karl
11-14-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by DR.J
First of, you really shouldnt have a power head filter on a tank with sand.Although you might not hear rattling in an empororor aqua clear,its still getting damaged by sand.The best filter for aquariums with sand in my opinion would be a fluval.But also in my opinion i would just take the ac 300 off the tank and then clean it out in the sink rinse it out really good, and it should be fine.I dont think you need to buy another impellar.Theres just a ball of sand caught somwhere in or near it.
i disagree....... Power hrad filters work fine with sand and are ok to use. The only thing you have to do when you are cleaning the sand is turn off the filter. If you leave it on there will be a problem. But other than that, everything is fine......

Overawed
11-14-2003, 12:19 PM
I turn off the filter too during water changes, but I have a few cichlids who like to dig up sand and then spit it out after they swim up to the top of the tank. I have a Red Eureka albino who likes to spit sand at the other fish. Needless to say, that sand usually gets caught in the filter.

Midas
11-14-2003, 08:22 PM
My tank has gravel, not sand. Also I have cleaned out the impellor housing several times lately and there is nothing in there (apart from the impellor of course). I still think I'll try a new impellor.

DR.J
11-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Your right karl.Good point.I forgot all about turning the filter off before cleaning the sand.I still think a cannister or fluval in specific is better for sand than power head.

Rudy
11-18-2003, 03:49 PM
You probably don't have to replace your impellor if it is working fine. I would just try to replace the impellor shaft. .50 cent piece.

Ac work fine with sand. I have large cichlids and use sand in all my tanks.

Overawed
11-19-2003, 09:51 AM
I didn't know you could replace just the shaft on the ACs. Thats pretty sweet! I wonder if I can do that on my Penquin 300?