PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cichild just had babies

patrick
11-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Have a 25 gallon tank with 5 African Cichilds. Woke up this morning and one was dead. Looked closer and mother is in corner of tank with all these little baby fish swimming around it. Mother is very aggressive and going after other 3 fish in tank. What do I do? Will the babies live? I went to store and they sold me a breeding cage. Should I use it or just leave babies in tank. HELP!!!
patrickbridget@aol.com

jonah
11-08-2003, 12:56 PM
I'd use the cage. If you leave them in the tank, most if not all will be eaten. You'd be better off putting them in a completely different tank. The mother would be less aggressive if there isn't anything to protect.

BTW, you probably already know this, but 25g is too small for mbuna (which I'm assuming you have).

Good luck.

patrick
11-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks for advice. Also, I didn't know tank was too small. The cichilds are small but pet store sad OK for 5. I'm going to try and round up these babies.

patrick
11-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Well I took the other fish back to store and just kept mother and babies. They seem to be doing well. Will the mother eat the babies? She till seems to be very protective and nurturing. ANy advice?

merlyn2221
11-22-2003, 05:55 PM
No, they usually don't eat them. Feed the babies several times a day. Use some crushed flakes, or brine shrimp napaulli (I can never spell that right). If there are other fish in the tank, you can put the mother in with them, but keep the babies separate. Also make sure that you change the water more frequently, since you are feeding more frequently.