PDA

View Full Version : Algae Bloom?

Chet
10-16-2002, 11:41 AM
I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 tiger barbs, 6 giants danios, and 4 one inch convicts. The intent is to move the danios and barbs to the new 30 within the next week or so. Anyway, about a week ago I moved two small amazon swords, four anubias to the 10 from my 55. I also bought two banana plants and added them. Since then, I have had an algae bloom of mammoth proportions. Most of the plant leaves turned brown from being covered with algae, the tank walls turned hazy brown from algae, and the tank water is kind of a brownish-green cloud. The tank only has an undergravel filter, which I thoroughly cycled before stepping up the stocking levels. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I was hoping the plants would starve out the algae, but instead the algae appears to be choking my plants.

In all this the fish seem perfectly happy. In fact, I don't know what breeding giant danios look like, but they are acting awful happy and friendly. It looks like they might be spawing in mid-water? Please help me out.

jnorris
10-16-2002, 07:20 PM
Get a Pleco to keep it in check

Mine is known as the Janitor.

I had the same issue in a tank simular to yours and he took care of business.

They seem to be well to do in a high PH environment.

SGypsyMermaid
10-16-2002, 08:43 PM
if the algae is out-competing the higher plants, then either the higher plants are not getting all of the nutrients/minerals that they need, and the algae which requires fewer nutrients is thriving instead. it could also be that your nitrate levels are too high. takashi amano recommends fifty percent weekly water changes for planted tanks, and i concur--but an algae clean-up crew is advisable also. a pleco might be too big for your ten gallon set-up, but think of a couple of otocinculus cats for brown algae and a couple of siamese algae-eaters for the rest. the problem is that with such a small tank, that will push your stocking levels kind of high--starting to sound like one of my tanks. :oops:

jnorris
10-16-2002, 08:53 PM
A large snail might do it too..

SGypsyMermaid
10-16-2002, 08:57 PM
that's true--but you have to be very careful with them in a planted tank--many large snails are plant-eaters. :wink:

jnorris
10-16-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey Gypsy look at your Personal messages..please

SGypsyMermaid
10-16-2002, 09:09 PM
[quote:d909f8b0a3="jnorris"]Hey Gypsy look at your Personal messages..please[/quote:d909f8b0a3]

i did--i didn't see any--send again, maybe?

jnorris
10-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Ok who of anyone (perhaps you) in this forum has Aulonocara Stuartgranti. I just bought a 6.5" + male and 3 females.

I need to know what hte breeding reccomendations are.

SGypsyMermaid
10-16-2002, 09:19 PM
i don't have 'em--but i would think that you could induce them to spawn with high protein feedings and a water change. i think that they spawn in the gravel/sand--none of my aulonacaras ever spawned when i had them in tanks with just rocks, but the minute there's some substrate, they get busy! do a 'google' search using the keywords: aulonacara (stuartgranti )spawning(breeding) and see what comes up.

jnorris
10-16-2002, 09:23 PM
I have a good mixed balance in my tank (I think).
90 Gallon Tall
50 lbs of lace rock stacked up to 3/4 high of the tank to 1/3 of the way down. I had to move rock around to make a few bigger caves.

Wait until you get the pictures...These are reeeeaaaally nice fish!

I think I am leaning towards the peacocks they aren't nearly as aggressive.

Chet
10-17-2002, 09:01 AM
Alright, I think I'm gonna try some Roottabs combined with a few more water changes. I don't want to use a pleco, cause my pleco what was in the 55 made a habit of eating my plants. These plants will go in the 30 eventually, and then I may be able to get some sort of algae eater. Everything I've read says plants will starve out algae, but I have yet to see this miracle in action.

Rudy
10-17-2002, 09:14 AM
With Algae blooms they are very difficult to keep under control. You get soupy water free floaters and snails and plecos don't do a thing for those. It is caused by excessive nutrients in the water, or sunlight. There are a coupld of ways to stop this. First of all you can cover the tank for about a week I mean pitch black no light. This will kill the excess.

Second way is to get some filter floss and a product caleed clear. It is a particulate remover. It bunches together the dirt and algae. Run an ac or some other filter for about 3 hours with the filter floss packed in there. This is my favorite as I would miss my fish for a week.
:cry:

Chet
10-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Alright, I just put some Roottabs in the 10 gallon substrate. I did a 40% water change three days ago, 40% yesterday, and I'll change 40% again tomorrow. I'll give the plants till monday or so to start clearing up the water on their own. If that doesn't work, then I'll try the clear stuff with my Whisper 2. Thanks for everyone's input.

I think we should have an aquarium plant forum, to supplement the beauty of our cichlids.

Rudy
10-17-2002, 04:03 PM
I would be contradicitng in my opinion as most cichlids either eat them, or uproot them.

We could have a salad bar forum!!

SGypsyMermaid
10-17-2002, 06:25 PM
floating plants work, to a degree--but most of the cichlids who don't eat plants, get a big charge out of ripping out the plants and throwing them around the tanks no matter how carefully i place rocks around the roots! :?

jnorris
10-17-2002, 07:26 PM
I have been lucky so far I guess.