PDA

View Full Version : Help Algae



Element
11-07-2003, 06:37 AM
Help pleaseeeeeee I am starting to get alot of brown and green algae in my tank :(! I have a pleco but he doesnt seem to be doing much :( I wanna know whats the best thing to get rid of the algae in ur tank? Algae destroyer? any kinda stuff like that? and could the african rift lake salt be causing this?

cichgirl
11-07-2003, 07:52 AM
There are algaecides out there, but first, how much natural light does the tank get? Is there any way to cut down on the light source? In my opinion, less light and an algae scraper would be the best fix. How big is the tank? How big is the pleco? And what other residents do you have in your tank?

Element
11-07-2003, 08:58 AM
no natural light but i do keep my light on alot due to the dark room i have 9 fish in a 55 gallon tank i have a pleco which is about 2 and a half inches i have a yellow pea cock 2 electric yellows 1 kindy? not sure on spelling or name and some other blue one and a fire mouth there all 3 inches and under

cichgirl
11-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Try not keeping the light on for as long. Algae needs light to thrive. If your light is on for around 6-8 hours a day and the room is dark you shouldn't have an algae problem. The fish don't really care about the light. Your pleco will likely get the problem under control- he will grow pretty quickly. My Hoover is an eatin' machine! He grew about 2 inches in a few months. What you could do in the meantime is keep scraping the algae, or go to your lfs for an algaecide additive. I can't remember what the stuff's called off the top of my head, but I have seen it. I would read the bottle carefully - I've never used it and therefore am not completely comfortable recommending it... If you do decide to treat the water, I would recommend Hikari Algae Wafers for your pleco. They love them. Good Luck!

Mbuniac
11-07-2003, 06:35 PM
cichgirl's good advise is what worked for me. I was having an algae problem while keeping my lights on 10-12 hrs/day. I cut that back to 6-8 hrs. and that took care of it.
Sam

Element
11-08-2003, 01:08 AM
Hey I got algae destroyer the big yellow and green bottle and it says put 1 tea spoon per 10 gallons so i put 5 and a half cuz i have a 55 gallon tank it cleared some of it up and it says use untill algae goes away so im gunna keep using it till i get rid of the bulk of it because the pleco is pretty small and is having a hard time doin the job :(

Element
11-08-2003, 01:08 AM
but thank you for your replys and helping me :D <3 yous HEHEHE

Karl
11-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Element
Hey I got algae destroyer the big yellow and green bottle and it says put 1 tea spoon per 10 gallons so i put 5 and a half cuz i have a 55 gallon tank it cleared some of it up and it says use untill algae goes away so im gunna keep using it till i get rid of the bulk of it because the pleco is pretty small and is having a hard time doin the job :(
i think ive used that stuff. it works good. maybe another pleco will help or a bigger one