PDA

View Full Version : Sponge on intake tube of HOB?

BLUIDMIK
11-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Has anyone ever put a sponge over the end of the intake tube on a HOB? I read an article that it makes a good 2 in 1 filter.
It sounds like it would work and it wouldn't cost alot. You would just have to buy a sponge and drill a hole in it. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with this. :rolleyes:

jonah
11-06-2003, 07:43 PM
I've done it in fry tanks to slow the flow. Worked pretty well and it worked as a sort of pre-filter to keep the fry out.

chc
11-06-2003, 09:00 PM
I put sponges on some HOB's (Aquaclear sponges work well). Keep small particles (including fry!) out of the filter and extends the life of the cartridge. The sponge needs to be rinsed every few days.

You can use rubber bands or cable ties to adhere them. Sometimes the suction of the intake tube is sufficient (big fish may dislodge it though).

BLUIDMIK
11-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the reponse, I'm going to my LFS and getting some filter media this weekend. You know ever since I've got into this hobby I find myself constantly tinkering with my setups and trying to make them better, I love it.

Overawed
11-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I tried sponge but it impeaded flow too much.

Try panty hose. I did that as well with no sucess, but you might try harder.

chc
11-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Overawed......... look for that really coarse pored sponge..... it won't restrict the flow as much as other sponges...... most sponges for ponds are coarser.

aharris
11-07-2003, 03:27 PM
When we lost the end of one of our filter intakes, we used panty hose to block it, and it worked just fine.

I also use panty hose for a number of other reasons in my filters like DIY media bags. I also use it to make buffer bags out of crushed limestone.

merlyn2221
11-07-2003, 08:47 PM
I have used both successfully. For all of the reasons mentioned. Also helps to move the "cycled" sponge to a new filter when setting up a new tank.