PDA

View Full Version : Looking for quiet filter

JoeCole
11-06-2003, 12:55 AM
hi im new to this forum and ive had a tall 29 g eclipse tank for about a year and i love it...it nearly takes care of itself and its perfectly quiet...i have about 12 cichlids and the tank is always clean without many water changes...i and going to buy a 60 gallon tank soon and i would like a filter(s) that is quiet and reliable...any suggestions? and/or other stuff u think i should get/need for my new tank...
thanks alot
-Joe

chc
11-06-2003, 10:58 AM
Please fill us in on the type of cichlids you have. We can better tailor a system for you.

merlyn2221
11-06-2003, 01:34 PM
As for quiet and efficient filtration of any 60 gallon tank, you could use an Eheim canister filter. But as chc said, we really need more info on what you're putting in there. You will probably want to run another filter on it too. My Emperors are great and quiet. I love my AquaClears, but my sand substrate has made the impellers a little noisy from time to time.
Give us more details and we can help you more.

chc
11-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Yes.... there are many issues to consider (water parameters, size of fish, oxygen requirements, etc.) when choosing the most appropriate equipment.

Fill us in..... glad to help!

JoeCole
11-06-2003, 06:28 PM
hi thank everyone...well im not too sure on all the names cause sometimes at petco they misslabel them...but ill try my best

2 kenyi (about 1.5 inch each)
2 yellow electric (about 1-1.5)
2 venustrus (dark spots like camo?) (1.5 inch each)
like a foot long eel
1 that is 2 inches and is black with a bright yellow underfin
1 that is about 2.5 inches long and is dark blue (it was labeled electric blue but the guy at the store said he wasnt sure)
3 assorted africans (about 1.5 inches) (ones orange, ones yellow with a horizontal brown strip, and one is an albino somethin-or-other)

i also plan to get some new fish and i plan to use sand as a substrate.

from what i hear canisters are hard to clean...i would prefer a tank that does not require much maintanance, but if you all say that they are better then i will probabaly be convinced

thanks again- Joe

chc
11-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Generally smallish fish for cichlids....... hard alkaline water needed..... not too much extra oxygen demand (i.e. non-riverine)

Find out what your tap water parameters are. You may need to buffer the water, and that may be easier to do with a canister as they can hold a great deal of media (the easiest way, though, is just to use buffering gravel as your tank substrate...... I don't know if you've done that already though).

You can get the job done with Emperor filters. Probably two would work the best (two 400's or one 400 and one 280...... still cheaper than canisters, especially Eheim, and they work well). Some would recommend on Emperor coupled with a canister, but I prefer the Emperors only as they are easier to clean (just swap out cartridges) and they'll move more water than a canister in most cases. My advice (you may hear otherwise) is to avoid any other type of hang on back filter (Aquaclear, etc.). Others are cheaper but are not as effective (another long topic, but I'm happy to explain if you'd like to hear it). Many posts here (Projects, Equipment, etc.) on how to modify them for cheap and extra effective operation.

Just keep in mind no filter will eliminate the need for water changes.

Heater: Ebo Jaeger (size according to your needs; less is often more as you don't want it to be able to cook your fish should something go wrong; ambient room temperature provides most of the heating)

Lighting: any (most plants won't tend to do well in the alkaline water, and those that will aren't picky); whatever comes with the tank.

You may want to add a small (less than $30) powerhead to create some current across the bottom, but that isn't really necessary (just keeps some of the waster stirred up) and could be added later.

Let us know if you need any other help! Good luck!

JoeCole
11-06-2003, 11:27 PM
thanks this helps alot...i just have a few questions cause i am new to all of these filters...you said it would be best to not get a filter that hangs on the back, but my tank will be sitting on my dresser so were can the filter go? the eclipse is all on top and i need somethin that does not require lots of cords bellow the tank and such. i have looked at alot of different substrates and i think im doing to go with the tahitian black moon sand. also what is a powerhead?
also i dont understand ur questions for my water peramiters...in my 29 g i used my house reversosmosis water which is also is hooked up to a water softener. none of my fish have minded this is the past...do u think this might be a problem?

let me know
thanks -Joe

Overawed
11-07-2003, 10:52 AM
I'd say for a 60g that two Penquin 300s with bio wheels would work good. They are easy to clean, very quite (as long as sand does not get in the impellers), have options on modification (optional media container) and they are relatively cheap ($30 from Big Als.) You will get a 10 to 1 water change over which is better than perfect.

The two Emperors would be perfect like chc said.

I have a 55g with an Emperor 400 and a Penquin 300 with a cheap power head to get the water moving around better.

Make sure you get some kind of power head to couple with the two hang on back filters.

Since you are putting the tank on a dresser (make sure the dresser is strong enough) I would not go with a canister unless it was an Ehiem.

JoeCole
11-07-2003, 07:47 PM
how come not the aquaclear...just wandering cause that is the most popular in that poll?