PDA

View Full Version : Tilapia care

ReesaPie
11-05-2003, 09:20 PM
I currently have a 40gallon long with malawi cichlids rangeing from 2.5"- 5.5" that has been established for about 8-9 months and is doing really well.

A friend of mine had a 55 gallon with what i beleive was 4 large Tilapia (at least that's what he called them) with 12" or so being the largest fish.
well his smallest Tilapia at 8" was being harassed teriably by the others, so I told him i would take the poor fellow (unaware of his size)

I couldn't beleive what aweful shape this fish was in. It had a chunk missing from the outside of his gill, his tail was almost gone and his pectoral fins were shredded. His body also has a few white dull patches (missing scales? maybe mild fungus?)

I've been treating him in my 10 gallon BB quarentine tank for 2 1/2 weeks now and he does seem to be improveing only slightly. He has a wonderful appitite and is very active and friendly. I've been doseing Melafix (teaspoon durring every W/C) and aquarium salt, (1 tablesoon every W/C) and doing a 50% water change every 1-2 days. The proquatics filter on the tank is rated for a 55 so he's getting good water movement and oxygen exchange.

Is there anything else i can do for him to help him grow his fins back? what kind of food should i be feeding him? curretly he's getting tiny pellets made for vegiterians that i feed my cichlids, but they're so small its hard for him to eat. I'm not even she if this is a Tilapia or what kind it is. This fish is a white-gray light light gray spots on the dorsal fin. My friend said his other ones are white with red fins.

any advice?

will this fish be safe to put in with my cichlids when he recovers?

merlyn2221
11-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Got any pictures? That would be really helpful. Based on size, it is very possible that it is Tilapia. Because of his full grown size, and despite the more calm disposition of these fish, I'd say don't put him in such a small tank. The smallest tank for full grown fish of this size should be IMHO at least a 55g (75g would be better) or more. They like to swim back and forth. Also, I believe this fish needs more protein than most of the fish you may have, but then I don't know what you have.
Keep up with the MelaFix and the salt to keep any fungus from occurring. I have noticed that pectoral fins take several weeks before they start to really grow back, depending on whether or not the tiny bones in them were damaged or not.

ReesaPie
11-06-2003, 08:00 PM
it does look like a few fin bones are missing. Should i feed him larger cichlid pellets? i'm always lery of feeding anytype of floating pellet though. I'll try to get a picture tonite.

Karl
11-08-2003, 02:58 PM
what kind of tilapia are these?

ReesaPie
11-08-2003, 04:49 PM
he just said Tilapia... i have no idea which kind