PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizers

chennes
09-02-2002, 09:26 AM
I've seen ads for UV sterilizers at various places - are these mostly marine-use contraptions, or are they for freshwater as well? Is there any advantage to using them? I always though bacteria were (mostly) a good thing in a tank.

Chris

SGypsyMermaid
09-02-2002, 10:39 AM
some people use them in their freshwater tanks, also, to zap pathogens. there's good bacteria and there's bad bacteria(disease-causing organisms). i don't know how the uv sterilizer gets rid of the bad without also sacrificing the good, though.

chennes
09-02-2002, 10:45 AM
[quote:adecac1c5a="SGypsyMermaid"]i don't know how the uv sterilizer gets rid of the bad without also sacrificing the good, though.[/quote:adecac1c5a]
I don't think it can: radiation is pretty indiscriminate. Perhaps the idea is that your biofilter is where the vast majority of the beneficial bacteria live? Obviously, these will only affect bacteria living in the water itself.

Chris

SGypsyMermaid
09-02-2002, 10:47 AM
i think you're right on point, there.

jonah
09-02-2002, 11:25 AM
I've never used one before, but I hear of them most often with ponds and marine tanks. I don't know how much benefit there is if you're killing both the good and the bad bacteria. :?

chennes
09-02-2002, 11:48 AM
Could they perhaps be used to sterlize large quantities of water in a multi-tank filtration system to make sure that diseases aren't transmitted between tanks?

Chris

Boilermaker
09-11-2002, 11:37 PM
I asked the LFS manager about the UV he said it just kills the gram negative pathogens it doesn't harm the healthy bacteria.

SGypsyMermaid
09-12-2002, 04:17 AM
but aren't there gram positive pathogens, also?

Boilermaker
09-12-2002, 01:03 PM
[quote:1c3e178c35="SGypsyMermaid"]but aren't there gram positive pathogens, also?[/quote:1c3e178c35]
I'm sure there is but I think the positive are the good boys and the negative are the bad boys? I'll have to do more research.
You know I hardly retained a thing working at the LFS in my 20s, :shock:
I should probaly be the poster boy for what too much partying 8) does to your memory :lol:

chennes
09-12-2002, 02:41 PM
There are both kinds of bacteria. In general, freshwater fish are primarily attacked by gram-negative, but there are some harmful gram-positive bacteria as well.

How does the UV discriminate between the bacteria? How is one affected and not the other?

Chris

chennes
09-12-2002, 02:50 PM
OK, so I looked it up: UV will kill anything and everything on the surface it hits, including both gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. It's main problem is that it has poor penetrating power, but this may not be such a big deal in water with the fancier sterilizers which swirl the water around and such.

So, my best guess is that the important bacteria are not in the water, but in the filter medium itself, so we can afford to kill off the ones in the water.

Chris

Boilermaker
09-12-2002, 11:42 PM
Well the lfs gave me the wrong info again :x . Why doesn't that surprise me.
What you said makes sense, cause the water passes through the sterilizer on the way to the sump, or from the sump, or in the sump compartment.
The particular setup I'm looking at the bioballs are behind the overflows, I dont know they may be in the sump compartment also, the UVs are part of the plumbing :wink:

ferdelance
09-16-2002, 06:11 AM
I used to use UV on my marine tank, and wonder if anyone knows how long the UV tube lasts before it should be changed? I am thinking of using it on my cichlid tank [img:b9e5e3a34e]http://MacintoshHD/fishproz.gif[/img:b9e5e3a34e]

jonah
09-16-2002, 11:34 AM
There's an ad for Aqua UV Steilizers in the latest Pet Warehouse fish catalog that says, "14 month lamp! Longest lasting in the industry!", so I would guess it depends on the brand, but won't last longer than this.

chennes
09-16-2002, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure I'd trust their claim of a 14-month lamp. Even if it doesn't actually fail for 14 months, that doesn't mean that 14 months is its useful life. I think most places say to change the lamp every 6-9 months, even if it hasn't gone out, because it loses its effectiveness as it gets older.

Chris

Ross
09-19-2002, 01:26 PM
I am new to this forum but I had a UZ ster. on a fresh water tank I had a few years back. I bought it primarily because a green water (floating algea) problem and it took care of it completely. It also kills pretty much anything else that passes through it. The good bacteria that the tank needs grows on any surface within the tank therefore it won't pass through the UZ ster. The tank I had it on was a 140gal tank with mostly Discus and I never had any disease problems.

Ross

jonah
09-19-2002, 03:12 PM
[quote:fc71e56c37="chennes"]I'm not sure I'd trust their claim of a 14-month lamp. Even if it doesn't actually fail for 14 months, that doesn't mean that 14 months is its useful life.
Chris[/quote:fc71e56c37]

I'm [b:fc71e56c37]SURE[/b:fc71e56c37] I wouldn't trust their claim of 14 months. I just said it wouldn't last more than 14 months. :wink:

Boilermaker
09-20-2002, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know what the bulbs cost? the two I just got look to be 2-3 footers much larger than whats on the hot tub.