PDA

View Full Version : does placement of sponge filter matter.

conig
11-01-2003, 11:23 PM
I just bought a sponge filter that states it's good for up to 125gallons. as a booster for my 55gallon. I plan on getting another tank soon and want to get some established sponges to spead cycleing of the new tank. plus my 55 gallon has an over the back power filter that seems more mechanical then biological.

At any rate is placement of this filter a big deal? I placed mine in the right corner back hand corner of the tank. and surrounded it in tall plants so only the top of it is pretty much visible. Will this hamper it's ability to do it's job?

merlyn2221
11-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Ideally, for aesthetic purposes most people put them in a rear corner, so they may be more easily hidden. In principle, though, I don't really think it matters, as long as it is not clogged and it works properly. I have one in the middle of the back of my 120g hidden by rocks. That's where it was best hidden.

Boilermaker
11-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Good to see you back Merlyn!

Mbuniac
11-04-2003, 02:03 AM
Yeah Merlyn, we were just talking about you wondering how you were? Welcome back!
I am looking for a sponge filter to attach directly to the bottom of my Penquin 1140 powerheads. They are doing nothing but aerating and circulating water now. Any ideas?
Thanks, Sam

chc
11-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Look at the Quick Filters made for Aquaclear powerheads. You may be able to make those work with a little modification.

With respect to the sponge filter question...... placement does not matter. Also, keep in mind when seeding new tanks that a sponge from another tank isn't fully prepared to take over. It just has some portion of the bio-colony of its previous tank. The bio-colony of a tank is in direct proportion to the organic load it is under, so five sponge filter (in theory) would have approximately 1/5th each of the total bio-flora.

merlyn2221
11-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys! Nice to be missed, and to be back!

Here's an idea along the lines of the sponge that I do to my AC 500 in the 120g and the AC 300 in the 55g. To keep the sand and small pieces of shell that get stirred up by the fish swimming by, I cut a piece of filter pad (like the old fashioned stuff) and rubber band it to the intake tube on the bottom. When it gets dirty looking, I rinse it out and reattach it. The other thing I do in the nursery and fry tanks is to get a regular nylon sponge (in the automotive or household section) and cut a small slit in it large enough for the intake tube to fit in. Works like a charm, and is the exact same thing that you buy as a filter sponge. Only those have a plastic tube attached and glued to them. You can do the exact same thing to yours with Aileen's "Ok to Wash It" glue which is non-toxic and water-proof. Costs way less, too.