PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Where to find rocks for tank?

shep37
10-28-2003, 02:50 PM
with a question. Where are you all getting these rocks for your tanks?

aharris
10-28-2003, 03:03 PM
Go to the rockyards or landscaping stores and buy rocks like flagstone or sandstone or such. It's much cheaper than buying it at your LFS. If you feel really adventerous, learn some pratcical geology and go collect your own like I did.

Afrikakorps
10-28-2003, 03:10 PM
hi Shep, I'm new too
:party:

LFS's tend to have some of the coolest looking rocks but the price usually puts me right off. :rolleyes:

I dont know what kind of fish you want to keep but i really like slate for afrikakorps. you can stack it real nice and stable.

I found a local landscaping and rock supply that had slate for a fraction of the LFS price.

other aquarists too in your area. find a local chapter cichlid assoc. club,
i'm sure there are many people have all the rock you'd ever need.

:dance:

regards,

shep37
10-28-2003, 03:15 PM
I have a 30 gallon tank with a 30/60 filter, heater and all. I am wanting to start a cichlid tank and a friend suggested Africans. I am open for any ideas. This tank was the former home of my Oscar who now resides in a bigger tank, 55. There are no pet stores in my town and the closest one is 90 miles away. We have Wal-mart and that is it. Have three rockyards though.

aharris
10-28-2003, 03:42 PM
30g is going to be little bit for small for most Africans.

tom
10-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Welcome, shep

aharris is right: Your choices are limited with a 30g (36" x 12"? area is more important than volume), but spin it positively, and it's just a question of degree. :D Here's a thread begun earlier today re a 30g setup:

http://cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2958