PDA

View Full Version : Hi there! advice needed 29 gallon starter tank

DevilDude
10-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Hey all i just joined this forum and am looking for advice. I'm planning to take my 29 gallon childhood aquarium (was used for goldfish and beta's and the like) and refurbish it to use as a starter tank for myself, before upgrading somewhere down the road. I was hoping to get some advice on tank setup (filtration, substrate and what not), and some species that may be good starters.

tom
10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi DevilDude, and welcome

For a standard 29 (36"x12" area), I'd suggest a species tank of, say, L. caeruleus or Ps. saulosi (smaller, relatively docile Mbuna). Begin with a dozen or so juveniles, with an eye towards cutting that number in maybe half as they approach maturity several months down the road.

Keepers of Tanganyikan species will no doubt have other suggestions ( I keep only the Tropheus genus from that lake; they will not do well at all in a 29).

Filtration: You'll be just fine with an Aquaclear 500 (many aquarists love Marineland's Emperor power filter line, too.)

Substrate: Unless you plan on using an undergravel filter, either gravel or sand will do.

For further filter and substrate ideas, you can search this board by entering those keywords to be included only in topic titles.

aharris
10-27-2003, 02:08 PM
If you like the looks of the Tanganyikans, you can keep Lamprologus brichardi (any of the related subspecies and variants will work; just make sure all fish are of that one type), pretty much any of the julidochromis species will do, Altolamprologus compressiceps or calvus will work, any of the shell-dwelling species will be OK, and the list goes on.

The thing is that you will probably be limited to either a pair of one species (or colony of shellies) or maybe two or three individual fish from different species.