carlos1.franklin
03-29-2008, 08:24 AM
I have a 30 gallon tank with the items listed below in it:

filter
several plants
1 nice size castle decoration
2 coral decorations
2 small algae eaters
1 temp. thing (to let me now what the temp is)
and the tank is about 75% filled with water cause I am still fixing he tank up and dont want the water to over flow
oh, and I have white rocks at the bottle of the tank

I want to care for cichlids. What else do I need in the tank before I get the cichlids.

I know I need:
a light
heater

what else?
What type of cichlids should I get?
How many of them?

FrazzleRock5
03-29-2008, 09:16 AM
you actually don't NEED a heater, and a lot of people don't use them as long as your house doesn't get below 70 degrees. I use them though because I like for my tanks to stay around 76. What kind of cichlids are you wanting? American, or African?

BEFORE you put any fish in your tank, make sure it's cycled. If you don't know anything about the nitrogen cycle, google it. Your fish will die for sure otherwise. Other than that, sounds like a good start. Keep us updated and provide some pictures!

P.S. a 30 gallon tank won't be near big enough for any of the larger cichlids (American or African) like oscars, jack dempseys green terrors, frontosa. I would recommend either doing an African tank with some of the smaller species, or if you wanted a South/Central American tank I'd go with some gold or german blue rams.. however these guys are picky about their water quality, so might not be a great fit for someone's first tank.

DogWalker
03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Agree with FR5, the nitrogen cycle is critical at this point. In terms of what fish you are hoping to keep and whether the tank is suitable, it would be good to know the dimensions of this 30g tank, the length being the most important dimention. Also what type of filter is it? (brand & model).

I would get a heater. 75-100w would be plenty. Unless you're keeping fish that don't need/like warmer water (eg: goldfish) it will help you to maintain a stable temp in the tank, thus mitigating one of the potential sources of stress on the fish.

PS: Welcome to the Forums :)

cich1
03-29-2008, 11:56 AM
i would have to agree with the others, your first step will be getting the tank cycled. as far as fish go there are a few dwarf species of cichlids that would be fine for a 30 gallon tank. south american apistogramma,rams, or african shelldwellers/rock dwellers, maybe some kribensis.