PDA

View Full Version : uv sterilizer

slc,phenochilus
10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
I have a 25 watt uv sterilizer that I just bought a new bulb for and put it on my 55, since I saw some ich. It seems allmost impossible to calculate and control the dwell time, to kill ich.

I know you'll ask why I have ich, I think its because of temperature fluctuation, in the summer my tanks get warmer and the heater never turns on, and in utah in the begining of october we will have very cold nights and very hot days. I don't have a chiller, I think I would need one during these conditions to keep the water stable. any help with the uv would be appreciated, thanks

chc
10-27-2003, 02:27 PM
It would seem the temperature changes would happen gradually enough for the fish to avoid any undue harm. I'd look into that description a little more closely.

Mbuniac
10-28-2003, 02:37 AM
A 25 watt sterilizer is big enough for a much larger tank than a 55, so it should kick ass on those little protozoens in your tank!
Sam

slc,phenochilus
10-28-2003, 11:22 AM
yeah I bought that 25 watt sterilizer for my 210 gallon, I sold that tank a couple of years ago, I still have this huge 4 foot fluidized bed filter that I'm not using, and that sterilizer, so I thought I would throw it on. It seems to be working but slowly

Mbuniac
10-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Your tank can never be "too clean or too free of bad critters"!
Sam

slc,phenochilus
10-28-2003, 01:29 PM
yeah if I had a sump on this 55 then I would also use that huge fluidized bed too. the only reason its not on there now is becuase I don't want a massive rio pump hanging in the water being an eye sore, I do have a very small pump hanging in the top back though, its powering the uv. that water is so clear I'd say it's invisible it looks like the fish are flying around in the air.