PDA

View Full Version : what thickness pink foam from home depot

nylouie516
03-27-2008, 01:53 PM
I will be getting my 125 in the next few days and my stand is getting closer to being done. how much foam do I need and what is the level of imperfection it protects against? I saw pink foam and blue foam at the depot

mikedsokc
04-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Foam can let your tank settle unevenly. Just make sure the top of your stand is level.

Heyguy74
04-03-2008, 12:20 PM
I never used foam on any stand i made. Like the prevoise poster said" make sure the top is level.

fishysmells
04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
I gotta third that, just shimmy the stand if you find anything uneven. If you are worried about the furniture then think about something thinner like a coated chipboard or something. You really shouldnt be using furniture from what I've heard anyways, not made for the weight of the H20. Sounds like you are getting a custom stand though.

nylouie516
04-04-2008, 04:42 AM
My friends father is a cabinet maker and he is doing the doors for me. I am leaving the middle open to put an led blue light strip firing down to give a blue glow effect.

fishysmells
04-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Wow, that is really nice, and the light is going to look very cool!! What color are you painting/staining the stand? I am setting up a tank now and wanted to paint a color other than the typical black but think it will end up black like before. I think trying to be different for different's sake could end up bad. My 130 gallon is white which I like. He looks like he is pretty skilled with the saw, I bet you will not need anything underneath as far as foam or shims.

nylouie516
04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, that is really nice, and the light is going to look very cool!! What color are you painting/staining the stand? I am setting up a tank now and wanted to paint a color other than the typical black but think it will end up black like before. I think trying to be different for different's sake could end up bad. My 130 gallon is white which I like. He looks like he is pretty skilled with the saw, I bet you will not need anything underneath as far as foam or shims.

I am going to do the stand black but in the middle a matte vibrant white to help reflect the blue effect of the light. I may trim it a lil in cherry also.

Heyguy74
04-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Very, very nice. Compared to mine thats work of art. Mine stay in my basement so I dont make them fancy or stain them.You dont need any foam on there. Are you going to use a sump or wet/dry for filteration? That would be my recomendation. I would also add a good HOB or two on there. What were your plans for filteration?