PDA

View Full Version : Fluidized bed system

trigger
03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I need some expert advice here. I posted in another message about my filtration on my tank and all the responsed made my mind start to think about more filtration. I run 2 fluval 404 on my 150. I want to add some more bio-filtration. I like this idea of a fluidized bed filter.

I don't want to run it off the output of my fluval. I would like to run it separately. I have a aqua clear power head 802. Has anyone hooked up a power head to the fluidized bed? Can I get some ideas on how people set them up?

I would like to go with the Rainbow Lifegard Fluidized Bed Filter FB600 for my bed. Do you think the 802 would be too much water force through the bed? Is this do-able or are there other ways to pump water through the bed?

I am looking for a solid system that will not leak as i go away a lot of weekends.

Thanks
Mike

Glaive
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
I would not drive this with a powerhead. Powerheads do not deal with head pressure very well and compensating for head pressure would drive the flow rate well above the manufacturer's recommended flow. I would look for a quality external pump that pushes around 150goh at your expected head height.

trigger
03-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Could you recommend a quality pump system that I could hook up to a fluidized bed system as I am new to the hobby and am learning as I go.

I do not have a drilled tank so the pipes will be over the sides.

Thanks
Mike

RustyNut
03-18-2008, 05:40 PM
I think before you go any further you should understand the negatives of a fluidized bed filter! 1) They are temperamental to operate though the brand you mention is the good 2) When your power goes out the bed collapses and the bacteria start to die very quickly 3) After a power failure the bed compacts and the pump cannot re-fluidize the sand again.