PDA

View Full Version : UV light?? Is this needed for a 75 gal cichlid tank

Fish Head
03-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Is an UV light needed for a 75 gal cichlid tank? I had someone tell me about using one and I was wondering if I really needed that. I don't have a sump so it would have to sit in the 75 gal tank. That seems a little bit unsightly to me. I do plan to crowd the tank as I used to always over stock tank and do water changes weekly. I'll have 2 Penguin biowheels running on the tank. I'm about a month away from getting the fish in. What say you?????

pup73
03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
fwiw i have a UV sterilizer for my 75g convict tank. i got it because 2 yrs ago i had a horrible, uncontrollable outbreak of algae. the tank was exposed to a decent amount of sunlight, but i took great care to cover it during the day.

i haven't had any algae problems since the addition of the lamp, imo it definitely helped. however, i had a UV lamp with my 125g tank. it broke months ago, and i haven't had any problems w/that tank.

i have the type that sits outside the tank, and is connected to my cannister filters.

hope this helps

-c

RustyNut
03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
UV isn't needed unless your having uncontrollable algae problems

Fish Head
03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Good, I didn't want to find out the new craze was going in all kinds of new equipment directions and needed to have a fish room just to set up a 75 gal. When I build a new house, I'll make an study and fish room for me so the wife will be happy all fish are tucked away. I've seen guys say they have a sump and UV etc for small tanks and I was wondering about it. Thanks.