PDA

View Full Version : Large wet/dry//Sump needed for 210 gallon tank

A. Rivulatus
03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Whats teh best sump/ wet-dry filter for a 210 gallon tank?

I have a pump that will provide 1500 gph and cycle the tank 7.1 times per hour... (would that be enough>?)

Seedy
03-11-2008, 10:11 PM
"Best" is always hard to say as it really depends on your personal application. Here are a few things to ask yourself to help find the right filter for you.
Is this going to be for a freshwater tank?
Are you looking for something "off the shelf" or do you want to DIY it?
What kind of budget are you working with?

Is your tank drilled for bulkheads or will you need an external overflow/lifter box? If the tank is drilled, what size holes and where are they placed?

Do you want a refugium to breed "feeders" or raise fry in?

HTH

A. Rivulatus
03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Ah, I never thought about a 'fuge with a freshwater tank... I used to do saltwater. That would be nice, to have a 20 gallon fuge. This tank will be freshwater cichlid, I have not decided on a frontosa only tank or green/red terror tank.

I'm going to purchase a pre-drilled All Glass Aquarium with 2 overflows. I'm not exactly sure if I'm going to get the 180 or the 210 gallon tank. If I go with the 180 I think my 1500 gph pump will do better filtering the water, it can cycle the water 8.3x/hour. I like to filter my water ~10x an hour.

The AGA tanks have a 1" hole and I think 1 or 2 smaller return holes for return lines inside the overflow... something I'm not that fond of but i guess I'll have to work with it. I like to do standpipes in my overflows and run the returns over the back of the tank.

I could DIY my sump, just add baffles for bubbles... but I'm not sure how I'd properly do a drip plate.. thats 1 of the only things... plus I dont think I can drill glass.... and my pump is an external pump. Acrylic tanks are expensive arent they? I've drilled acrylic before with a wood hole saw.

I would be willing to do something off the shelf if its not too expensive and can get the job done, with sufficent extra sump space for heaters and such.

Any links you could provide would be helpful.

RustyNut
03-12-2008, 08:43 AM
I have an AGA pre-dilled 210g with a 1200gph pump for circulation and an AGA pre-drilled 180g with a 700gph pump for circulation... both are more than adequate for the purpose of the wet/dry system, huge flow isn't needed. Instead focus on thing like USJ's and powerheads to add tank currents which works better for crowded cichlid tanks.

My USJ's are powered by 1400gph pumps and just for prolonged maintenance I have an Aquaclear 500 hanging on the back mostly just for polishing and its plugged into a UPS for power outages.