PDA

View Full Version : i want to start a african tank

crazy4fish
03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
how many african cichlids can you put in a 55 gallon tank can you mix them around by that i mean the lakes how many can go in there and what should i put

Glaive
03-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Purists will tell you that mixing lakes is wrong, however it can be done. The results would vary wildly and match ups could be difficult. Keep in mind a 55 gallon tank is a bit cramped for africans.Find a few fish you like on the net and share them in here, that way people have more information to help you out.

IMHO A nice 2-3 species Tang tank would make a good introduction to the hobby.

RustyNut
03-08-2008, 07:00 AM
I Vote Mbuna! :D

adding to what Glaive said, I think for the beginner it greatly simplifies things to stay away from mixing lakes (or continents/Riverine) and concentrate on learning about a single flock first and how they interact, and get a general sense of their personalities. Mixing becomes a whole lot simpler after you have kept the various fish you like in a "natural" setting first learning how they breed, feed, and fight. (plus a whole lot more)

Mixing not only adds to the new aquarists confusion, but also the fishes signaling systems are a little different so additional aggression can occur from the fish also getting confused.

crazy4fish
03-08-2008, 10:39 AM
thanks guys just the info i needed