PDA

View Full Version : Eheim canister filter

shadi
10-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Has anyone used a Ehim professional2 external canister filter or the thermo version?. Im looking to purchase one for my new tank setup (about 75 us gallons). I have heard good things about them. Any opinions out there?

Adi

chc
10-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Eheims are generally the best made filters on the market. From a quality of build and reliability standpoint, they're really unbeaten (that's why the price is higher than other brands).

The only drawback to the thermo version could be sizing the heater to the size of your tank. It is difficult to get just the right size for one's needs since only one heater type is offered.

That said, I think these canisters would be very useful for most people, and getting the heater out of the tank makes things look better too.

Mbuniac
10-21-2003, 01:43 AM
Probably the best on the market, but a bit pricey. I live in a small town and they weren't available locally so I went with the Rena Filstar XP3 since all the media is available at our lfs.

fishmommy
10-21-2003, 09:46 AM
I love them. I have three P2/Thermo ones and one older non-thermo. Never had a single problem with any of them. I do keep thermometers in all the tanks just to be sure the Thermo is working right, and I have a few extra heaters kickiing around just in case... call me paranoid.

Doc_Polit
11-04-2003, 09:06 PM
I use an Eheim 2026 Pro II on my 75 gallon Mbuna tank, and it is awesome!

It is self priming, has a flow gauge, and does an excellent job of biological filtration. I use a prefilter on my intake and only need to do maintenance every 6-9 months. The other bonus is it is QUIET.

Like others have said, they are expensive but well worth the $$$ as far as I'm concerned.

Whether you use the thermo unit or not is a matter of personal preference. Good luck!

merlyn2221
11-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Wasn't their original slogan, "You can't beat an Eheim?"

Anyway, if it wasn't it should have been, and still should be!