PDA

View Full Version : Oscars...feeding frenzy

kiss1069
03-04-2008, 12:15 AM
So i was feeding blood worms to some Oscars the other day and well i tried to put the frozen block in the water to disintegrate it but as i was doing that a large Tiger Oscar swam up to me finger and took a bite...didnt hurt and didnt break skin but this was the first time that ever happened to me. Back when i had giant goldfish, i used to feed them at the top of the tank but they never bit...has this happend to anyone else?

cichgirl
03-04-2008, 07:21 AM
The bigger they get, the more they mistake fingers for food! :)

MisanthropeKitty
03-04-2008, 02:33 PM
yep my bf was playing with the oscar the other day wiggling his fingers in the water and letting the oscar bite them... when he got done his fingernails had scrape marks all the way down them. me, im too scared and keep my fingers CLEAR of the tank when feeding him

xof
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM
My Oscar has jumped clear out of the water to take a freeze dried shrimp from my hands. Scared the crap right outta me, lol. He's done this on more than one occassion too!

cichgirl
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Watch out - I've had them end up on the floor, skidding themselves across the rug. They don't look too pretty after that happens!

xof
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
fish rug burn, ouch!

malex
03-29-2008, 04:52 AM
The oscars I used to have would splash water half way across the room when I fed them they got so excited! One of them also worked out that sometimes food got caught on the support brace across the middle of the tank, if he hadnt been fed for a couple of days he would jump up and hit it to knock food off!
The same oscar bit my old house mate once and actually did draw blood, only a little bit but it gave her a shock!

nik volkert
04-16-2008, 11:48 PM
the oscar i used to have would'nt bite me at feeding time, he would patiently wait for the food to hit the surface of the water then attack it.
but when i had my hand in the tank to scrub algae off the side he would constantly attack me.:saw:

innerchi89
05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Haha, try feeding like 50 of them everyday.

DISCIPLE
06-10-2008, 09:00 AM
the oscar i used to have would'nt bite me at feeding time, he would patiently wait for the food to hit the surface of the water then attack it.
but when i had my hand in the tank to scrub algae off the side he would constantly attack me.:saw:

sounds like my fish w/ that lol

cich1
06-13-2008, 09:08 PM
i just got my first nip from my red today while taking out some tank decor. shocked the hell out of me, this fish has always been really passive when i have had my hands in the tank.

AlvinBrockway
09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
sorry to resurrect an old post, but i have a 12+ inch red oscar, i feed him cichlid gold pellets from Hikari. Normally i hold the pellet until he knows im feeding him and then drop a few in and he attacks the pellets in an attempt to devour them:yow: well i guess one day i held the pellet to long was on the phone and didn't see him come up to the top to eat, next thing i know hes jumping out of the water trying to get the food from my hand, he didn't bite me but he got close, now i waste no time when he starts moving up i drop the pellets in he chases them down and splashs water out of the tank, now i've got full glass covers with the plastic hooked on the back and cut out to the accessories on the tank, so no more water flying in the air during feeding times.

tonyfabs1977
09-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Oscars are straight up pigs!! Mine used to fight over food and one of them found out that it would be easier to jump up and get the food directly from my hand. lol He would bite my hand and I would get a little mad but he also jumped out of the tank and landed on the floor which sucked for him because it was a far drop to the carpet.

CichNewfie
10-23-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm new to the cichlid world and have a Lutino, around 5" give or take as they look larger in the tank. I was doing a water test one day and she grabbed the strip right out of my hand, scared the crap out of me and then I worried I cut her mouth as I grabbed it back pretty fast. I also had one of my very calm parrots attack my hand and wouldn't stop as I was moving the gravel so they would have more room to move under the castle. I even took her out of tank to give her a short lecture on not biting the hand that feeds her. Turns out she had laid eggs and was protecting them. Too bad parrots are infertile as I'm sure they's make such cute babies.

adam_mac84
10-25-2009, 01:18 PM
just be thankful you are not keeping pygocentrus natteri. I'll let you google that if you aren't sure what it is, but i have taken a little nip from those guys and that sucked

CichNewfie
10-25-2009, 03:18 PM
googles pygocentrus natteri.

CichNewfie
10-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I just googled pygocentrus natteri. Red belly piranah!!!! Ouch.

morgzilla
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm new to the cichlid world and have a Lutino, around 5" give or take as they look larger in the tank. I was doing a water test one day and she grabbed the strip right out of my hand, scared the crap out of me and then I worried I cut her mouth as I grabbed it back pretty fast. I also had one of my very calm parrots attack my hand and wouldn't stop as I was moving the gravel so they would have more room to move under the castle. I even took her out of tank to give her a short lecture on not biting the hand that feeds her. Turns out she had laid eggs and was protecting them. Too bad parrots are infertile as I'm sure they's make such cute babies.

my parrots had babies.. i thought since they were hybrids, they were infertile... idk how they managed to reproduce.

morgzilla
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM
my oscars used to jump right out of the water to get food... they were crazy but i loved those fish. they have soo much personality.. then after they'd chase my hand, they'd take naps on the bottom until the next feeding..

CichNewfie
11-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Sounds like a very cool oscar you had morgzilla. Baby parrots huh? cool. I'm thinking perhaps another fish fertilized the eggs. My opinion is the males are infertile and the females could have some viable eggs. Just my opinion from watching my pair. The male seems so disinterested and the female seems very maternal from the way she protected the eggs. I would always get rid of the eggs within a day as she never leaves them to eat and it's no sense in protecting unfertilized eggs.