PDA

View Full Version : Questio about brown Algae!

DonnieP
10-19-2003, 03:58 PM
My tank is getting covered with brown Algae, I assume its Diatom since my tank is fairly new.. Question is, should I use "Algae Fix" by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals to get rid of it? The next question is Will "Algae Fix" work on Diatoms? It is supposed to be safe with live plants and fish, I just hate looking at the brown stuff on my rocks and background! Thanks in advance for your help!

shadi
10-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Ive found the best answer is to just get yourself a plec or 2. better than any treatments, Ive got 3 in my tank and i never need to clean the glass or the furniture. if you kill the algae you run the risk of a build up of dead matter and a thus water quality problems , best use the natural approach :)

shadi
10-20-2003, 03:32 PM
oh, i never thought to ask the size of your tank!, only reccomend plecs in a resonable sized tank as they go grow quite large. Also they do finish of any uneaten food which is a bonus, mine have learned to feed from the top of the tank for an easy meal when algae times are hard, they are about 4 years old and about 8 or 9 inches long. Im not sure if the size of the tank has an effect on growth though

chc
10-20-2003, 05:03 PM
I would clean the rocks, etc. very well with a brush and a diluted bleach fluid. Rinse everything very well and soak it in a bucket with 10x normal dechlor to eliminate any residual chlorine.

The pleco advice (shadi: we add the "o" in the States!) is good. If your tank is smallish, go with a bristlenose type (they stay comparatively small).

CUTTY
10-21-2003, 07:29 AM
i personally feed my africans every other day so if you look in my tank on the day that i dont feed you can see all the fish grazing on algae that has grown on the rock work and aquarium glass.

shadi
10-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Do you think you could send your Africans over to teach my Americans how to do eat algae!. im know that after a week without plecos id have a green tank and grumpy fish :)

DonnieP
10-22-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys, I have a 6" Pleco in the tank, its 110 gal. I know Diatom is usually replaced by more benificial Algae but it is really getting heavy..The bleach sounds awful radical to me since I have several fish in the tank! I think I will give the Algae fix a try, it is supposed to be fish and plant safe, I will let you know how it comes out.. BTW, I would have answered to your replies sooner but this thing didn't email me that I had any responces, thanks.

shadi
10-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Make sure you substitute your Pleco's diet with sinking food such as algae wafers if you plan on removing the tanks algae with a chemical. Also keep a check on your water quality as more frequent smaller water changes help to keep the nitrates that feed the algae under control until your Pleco gets on the case. Also important to hoover the gravel to remove that buildup of dead algae you will be getting.

make sure you dont overfeed the your tank or the Pleco will eat that instead of the algae.
I understand lighting that is too strong or on for too long can contribute to some types of algae

You most likely already knew most of that but it doesnt hurt to mention it.

good luck :D

chc
10-24-2003, 11:37 AM
........... I thought you would have assumed I meant to take the rocks out of the tank before bleaching........... BIG DIFFERENCE!

My bad!

shadi
10-24-2003, 03:14 PM
lololololololol sorry that made me laf lots, im sure he didnt think that you.... did he.... lololololol naaaaa. :rofl:

shadi
10-24-2003, 03:19 PM
actually i may laugh, but years ago my brother cleaned some rocks i brought back from a school trip to go into my parents coldwater fishtank. a day later most of the fish were dead, yep u guessed it, he used bleach. i got the blame for ages till he admitted what he cleaned em with!.

shadi
10-24-2003, 03:21 PM
another good way to clean your rocks is to use a jet wash high pressure washer like you use to clean the car with, works a treat! (erm outside of the tank that is) :)

DonnieP
10-24-2003, 03:39 PM
The only thing is I made my 3/D background from Styrofoam and cement and its siliconed to the back, it aint commin out:>) and thats where most of the algae is, I been using the Algae Fix and it seems to be cleaning it up nicely..

shadi
10-24-2003, 04:12 PM
nice one, steady with that bleach ;)