PDA

View Full Version : what would happen if you did not cycle your tank and put new fish in it?

ganja
02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
would they be okaY?

hidesherheart
02-18-2008, 06:31 PM
No, they would very probably die.

ganja
02-18-2008, 06:36 PM
why?

Larry
02-18-2008, 09:58 PM
the cycle puts them through so many toxins raising and lowering, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, ph levels. Its basically poisoning them. Even though there are fish out there that "can" make it through the cycle it is so hard on them that its considered inhumane.

ganja
02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
ohh i see. how often must you take out all of the water in the tank and replace it?

hidesherheart
02-19-2008, 05:00 AM
You don't typically take out all the water and replace it. The amount you change depends on several factors, the size of the tank, the type of fish you have, the amount of fish you have in relation to your tank size, and your water paramenters, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

RustyNut
02-19-2008, 05:06 AM
Ganja, it would be prudent for you to read up on tank cycling and most of the other stickies here before you go adding fish.

Steve C
02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
You could also go ahead and add the fish, then Bio Spira and that would help you through the process.

But as Rusty said, search through the archives for cycling, you'll find way too much info there.

ganja
02-20-2008, 01:45 AM
how long must you cycle your tank for before you can put fish in it?

SabrinaD
02-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Just to clarify for you...
Cycling does NOT mean put water in tank, let sit for x number of days, add fish.
Cycling is a process of growing bacterial colonies to take care of fish wastes (they release ammonia from their gills and poop and uneaten food get broken down). Therefore you have to FEED the bacterial colonies in some way or another. Some do fishless cycles by adding ammonia directly to the water (look it up for the proceedure). Some add food to the tank with no fish to start the cycles. Some use fish like goldfish for example to cycle the tank (but there are better ways to do it than this).

The easiest way to cycle tanks is to get bacteria from another source. Biospira is refrigerated product that contains bacteria (all the others don't work as well because frankly, sealed in that little bottle on the shelf, they're already dead). Another way is to get used filter material from an established tank. With both these methods you can add a few fish right away (something has to feed your new bacteria). Don't over do adding fish though, the bacteria has to get established before you can add more fish.

No one can tell you how long a cycle will last to the exact day. Get a test kit to test for ammonia and nitrite (NO2); these are most toxic to the fish, levels should be 0 of both in a well established tank. A test for nitrate (NO3) will tell you when you need to change your water; not as toxic and present in a well established tank.

cichgirl
02-20-2008, 07:10 AM
http://www.cichlidforums.com/showthread.php?t=3116

ganja
02-20-2008, 11:21 PM
im not exactly too sure what cycling is exactly still. but what i did do with my tank was fill it up. add my bacteria supplement stuff. let it sit for a day. put a couple fish in it. and i squeezed out the sponge from the filter of my other tank into this filter. im not sure but i think i saw that somewhere. i could be completely wrong. so did i do it right? when should i add my fisH?

Glaive
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Cycling is establishing the nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is the natural process of bacteria changing ammonia (very dangerous) to nitrate (much safer.)

In order for the cycle to start there must be a source of ammonia, fish urine and feces will cover this. Over a period of time, depending on the fish load and the tank volume, bacteria will build up and convert the ammonia to nitrite. At this stage another bacteria will build up and convert the nitrite to nitrate. The process of getting this started is very rough on fish so most people use existing media or an additive to kick start it.

If you are able to use media from an established tank then you could add fish immediately. Remember with out the ammonia and nitrite the bacteria die off quickly.

SabrinaD
02-21-2008, 12:09 PM
But it does need to be fairly quickly after you use the media. The bacteria can begin to die off within hours with no food source.