PDA

View Full Version : Hikari gone wrong

Rudy
10-15-2003, 07:58 AM
In the last month I have had a real mystery on my hands with respect to my tanks. They all absolutely wreek and an cannot find the cause for it. There will be no smell at all one time of the day and they I can hardly stand to be in the room the next. I have changed so much water it is scary.

It turns out what was causing the smell was my hikari gold bulk food I recently purchased. It was rotten. It smells o.k. dry, but when I put it in the water it is really bad.

I thought I would share that as now I am stuck with 2 pounds of hikari gold that will be feeding mice at the dump I guess. Probably would have been better to buy the vaccum bag stuff.

SGypsyMermaid
10-15-2003, 08:41 AM
you need to send that food back and request a refund--that shouldn't be!:mad:

chc
10-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Just a tip..... when I buy in bulk I only use a little at a time (stored in small containers). The majority of the rest is sealed and in the freezer. Once air gets to the food it begins to degrade immediately.

shadi
10-23-2003, 03:53 PM
sounds like it got damp at some point, once it gets wet your pretty much doomed!. i know that smell of rotting fish food and its the worst! occassionally a stick may drop onto the glass tank brace unnoticed, but believe me i soon notice it after a few days, it smells like death!. I dont seal my food or freeze it but it is kept in the original box behind the tank next to the light starters and stuff, its quite warm back there this seems to do the trick, Ive kept food for about 6 months at a time with no problems. I darent put my fish food in the freezer or i may end up eating it in a bolognese or somthing! :D