PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia problems

Kevo
02-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi
Im new here and to the aquarium scene, so let me tell everyone my situation

I bought a small aquarium (15 gallons) and I have 2 Tiger oscars, about 3", and 1 pleco about 4". I know it is was to small for them but some lady at petco sold it to me and said it would be ok for about a year, so I bought it. I have had it for about a month and a half now, and all of my readings are about perfect except for my ammonia. it stays between .5 and 2. I have been doing a 25% water change almost everyday to try and dilute it but it wont go down. I am using the amquel + conditioner and thats not working either.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the ammonia down.

I am a beginner, what am I missing?

FSM
02-02-2008, 04:25 PM
How much filtration do you have? Also, you definitely need a bigger tank; at least 75 gallons. If you can't get a bigger tank soon, return the oscars.

Kevo
02-02-2008, 05:07 PM
haha, once I figured out that my tank is too small I went out and bought a new filter, so the filter that I got is made for 65 gallons, and my tank is 15 gallons, also I was wondering if the oscars mind that extra current, they dont seem to bummed about it in m y tank

cichgirl
02-03-2008, 08:05 AM
I don't think you'll get the cycle to work out in a tank that small. It'll be an ongoing battle. They are really messy fish and produce too much waste for only 15 gallons. The lady at petco is wrong. They won't make it a year - they may not survive the water conditions. They can grow 10" in a year. In your 15, if they make it they'll be stunted, which isn't pretty or healthy for them. I would bring them back and file a complaint. :(

Larry
02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Ya deffinatelly either upgrade to a larger tank or return the oscars, they leave so much food behind while eating that your tank will never actually get a chance to stabalize.
even in a 75 gal tank 2 full grown oscars require a lot of work keeping everything clean.