PDA

View Full Version : what are haps?

piranha45
10-13-2003, 10:14 PM
I understand they are some sort of african cichlid group, but other than that im pretty clueless. Can someone elaborate on what they eat, how big they grow, and anything else?

tom
10-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Just an overview:

"Haps," usually, is used in reference to the haplochromine flocks (group of similar species) of the lakes of East Africa (e.g., Malawi, Victoria). (The Mbuna are another haplochromine flock, but in common usage they're distinguished by name as an entirely separate group.)

Most "haps" are open-water piscivores and include species within the genera Sciaenochromis, Aulonocara, Nimbochromis, and dozens more.

Within the home aquarium, they require plenty of swimming space (consider a tank of at least five feet in length) and animal protein in their diet. Temperament among the species varies as does size: They can range from peaceful to aggressive and from just a few inches to over a foot in length (see Tyrannochromis--or the commonly kept predator Nimbochromis fuscotaeniatus).

Have questions about specific hap species? Many folks here keep a variety of these cichlids.

piranha45
10-13-2003, 11:18 PM
well, I got a couple random hap cichlids at my local pet store, i just wasn't sure if they should be fed a meaty diet or a herbivorous diet, or what.

I appreciate your in-depth response :)

StructureGuy
10-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by piranha45
well, I got a couple random hap cichlids at my local pet store, i just wasn't sure if they should be fed a meaty diet or a herbivorous diet, or what.

"hap" is such a generic term it would be best to identify exactly what cichlid you actually have before determining the diet. For example; Many of the victorians are still in the genus Haplochromis but they might or might not be piscavores. I believe that cichlids from the genus Copadachromis (are actually utaka) are plankton eaters but are often referred to generically as haps.

Kevin

SGypsyMermaid
10-15-2003, 07:20 AM
kev, plankton is protein.:confused:

SGypsyMermaid
10-15-2003, 08:29 AM
ok, i stand corrected. see link:
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/invertebrates/plankton/Planktonprintout.shtml