PDA

View Full Version : Rocks or Sand

M_sfan87
10-13-2002, 09:07 PM
I have always used rocks. I was wanting to know does the Sand get sucked up into the vaccum when your cleaning your tank?

jonah
10-13-2002, 09:23 PM
The only tank I have that has sand is my Neolamprologus multifasciatus tank and I don't get near the sand if I can help it. Just brushing inches above the sand sucks some of it up. I like the way it looks better, but the cleaning is a drawback. :(

My reef tanks have sand too, but I don't vacuum those.

Overawed
10-14-2002, 08:55 AM
Here's what I do with sand: My gravel siphon is not strong enough to pull the detrius away from the floor, so I just use a 1/2" tubing to siphon with. It pulls the crap up better than anything and I only lose a few grams of sand every cleaning. Its the way to go with sand. The other main concern with sand is of course the damage it can do to impellars. Just make sure your filter intakes are up high enough to prevent sand from getting in the impellar housing. I have heard of people putting panty hose around the intakes, but that slows the water flow IMHO. I good quality filter like an Emperor or like should give you no problems.

M_sfan87
10-14-2002, 04:32 PM
Thanks...I think I will stick with the rocks.

Overawed
10-15-2002, 11:33 AM
aw, sand is much prettier IMHO

M_sfan87
10-15-2002, 03:56 PM
I agree I like Sand, its more natural and I think the fish would like it better. But its just to hard to take care of. :wink:

fitch
10-15-2002, 08:48 PM
I have just switched over 13 of my tanks to sand, And I love it. Not too much work as far as I am concerned. But that is my opinion. One tank ( a grow out) is still glass bottom, and the other two are UG... one victorian and one tanganyikan... the UG works great and I have been using it for years. Just use pieces of slate to cover where they will dig, ie under structure, and all should be ok. If you are every going to plant I suggest running UG for about 9 months first so that you have a rich bed in the substrate, then plant, they should flourish. If no heavy plant eaters in the tank.
Cheers,
Jay

MalawiGuy
11-08-2002, 07:19 PM
I agree the sand is much more natural and your fish will thank you.Also,IMO the sand is easier it does not accumalte mech. waste particals near as fast , as most of the waste will remain on top of the sand (where it can be siphoned off)or circulated till it gets sucked up by the filter instead of falling into your gravel. my sand tanks require very little maintenance wich consists of a little stir here and there before I do my water changes. The sand also adds a much larger surface area for benificial bacteria to grow.You can put a sponge prefilter on your filter intake to keep the sand out,and it will reduce filter media replacemants and cleanings,just clean the sponge every so often.

Mbuniac
11-10-2002, 09:05 PM
I believe it was on "Armke's" site that I read about how he converted his UGF's for sand by covering them with panty hose type material and uses them for all his tanks! And believe me he has a BUNCH of tanks!