PDA

View Full Version : I've got some small, "permanent" bubbles on the su

fish-eyed-fool
10-13-2002, 06:26 PM
They collect on the edges of the tank. I can scoop them out with a spoon or a very fine mesh net. What is causing these bubbles?

The water chemistry seems fine. I'm not overfeeding (at least I don't think I am).

Could it be the plants in the tank? Maybe some yeast from my C02 reactor got in there.

I'm really clueless, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

jnorris
10-15-2002, 09:48 PM
I get the same thing. I think it is because of the plants I have in my tank. It's not like foam is it?

fish-eyed-fool
10-16-2002, 09:30 AM
[quote:cb0b21f5fa="jnorris"]It's not like foam is it?[/quote:cb0b21f5fa]

Nope, they're small bubbles, but they don't burst easily. I usually use a spoon to get them off the surface. They bunch together and slide quckly onto the spoon.

jnorris
10-16-2002, 07:18 PM
Perhaps there is something strange in your tap water. How much are you aerating you water?

I have a powerhead on high, that is what is causing my bubbles.

fish-eyed-fool
10-16-2002, 10:50 PM
[quote:4845f9268e="jnorris"]How much are you aerating you water?

I have a powerhead on high, that is what is causing my bubbles.[/quote:4845f9268e]

I've got a decent amount of aeration going on. Well, there are no airstones or anything like that, but there is a high amount of surface agitation, and some bubbles being caused by the AC250 overflow.

Chemically, the water is pretty decent:

Ammonia < 0.5ppm
Nitrites = 0ppm
Nitrates < 10ppm
pH = 7.8
GH = 7

I can't figure out why the bubbles are collecting and persisting on the surface.

jnorris
10-16-2002, 10:53 PM
I honestly wouldn't worry unless they start floating...and dead.

I think it is a symptom of really hard water.

Hongi
10-16-2002, 11:04 PM
I have the same thing. I think its some sort of protein deposit but I could be wrong.

jonah
10-17-2002, 09:12 AM
[quote:9edacc9777="fish-eyed-fool"]
The water chemistry seems fine. I'm not overfeeding (at least I don't think I am).

[/quote:9edacc9777]

Here's my .02 : My first reaction was you're over feeding, but if you're pretty sure you aren't then I don't know what it it.

I had a similar problem during the first few months of my 125g mbuna tank. I solved it by getting a surface skimming device that hooked in to the input tube on an AC500 HOB. I know they can be modified to fit other filters as well. The thing kind of looks like a snorkel with a crown on top. The crown keeps big things from getting in, but allows water and surface scum to fall in. Then it's sucked up into the HOB. I only had to use it for a few weeks. I removed it when it was cleared up because it makes a somewhat annoying slurping sound as it works, but it definitely works.

fish-eyed-fool
10-17-2002, 01:21 PM
[quote:f396ebc032="Hongi"]I have the same thing. I think its some sort of protein deposit but I could be wrong.[/quote:f396ebc032]

That what I was thinking. It does look like there is high protein content in the water, since the bubbles are persistent.

Too bad I can't run a protein skimmer on my tank!

Cichlid Jeans
10-18-2002, 08:57 AM
Both proteins and fats will make persistent bubbles. Have you tried a micro-filter? I think a Magnum with the paper cartridge would clear out both.