PDA

View Full Version : New Cichlid Tank Setup

Japtastic
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi, I'm new here!

I used to keep community fish about 15 years ago, since then and up until now I havn't had any time/money/room to keep them, the last fish I had including my favorite big plecos all died in a terrible accident, I came home to find them all floating on the surface, put my hand in the water and it was red hot, the thermostat on the heater had failed :( I think that had also put me off but I guess thermostats are better now and hope that won't happen again.

I am thinking of setting up my old tropical fish tank as a cichlid tank, I'd have to get a new base and lid made and a new filter, the one I had was an EHIEM, I wonder if they are still about?

The tank is about 90 gallons or 350 litres, I'd need advice on filters and heaters please.

The main question is what cichlids though, I want a really intelligent fish that is interesting to watch and that I could breed, are they too aggresive to keep with other fish? What other suggestions do you guys have? Is the tank big enough for several or just two breeding pairs?

Thanks for any help.

cjam
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Well I use an emperor 400 filter, its great. Its a hob with a bio wheel. I have a 55 gal, but 1 emperor 400 can be used on a 75 gal and it bee fine. If your gonna do cichlids you need alot of filtration so I reccomend getting 2 of these or one of these and a cannister. Yea EHIEM are still around, and they are great filters also.

Cichlids can be aggresive, and they are territorial, so make sure you have alot of rock work with caves and places they can go to get away from other fish. Before I can help you with the type of cichlid you want you gotta decide what area you want it to be from. YOu can have Mbunas, Haps, Tanganyikas, Victoria, Neotropical, do a little reading on these different types and when you figure out what you want to go with Ill see if I can help you figure out what you want to put in the tank.

Japtastic
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Thanks for info, I really want an intelligent fish that I could breed if that helps, will have a read up on the different types.

cjam
01-21-2008, 04:12 PM
np, well idk how intelligent convicts are but they are supposedly extrmely easy to breed.
they can be very aggressive though. a male will be bigger then a female, have a hump on the head, and fin extensions. a female will not have the hump be smaller, and have some orange on their scales.you could get like 6 of them and when 2 pair up then get rid of the other 4. in a 90 gal, you could have a oscar, 2 JDs and 2 Firemouths

cjam
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
heres something I found on the forums about cons if you want to try them, it explains how to set up a ideal breeding space, how to tell male and female and has alot of information that I found very useful. Credit goes to Redeye75, he posted this link first, but im just showing it to you.

http://http://cichlidresearch.com/simpleaquarium.html

this is a realy good site to use for convicts if you were to decide to go with them.

Japtastic
01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I've been reading up on a few different breads that you suggested and I think I might take your suggestion and go for some JD's Firemouths and Oscars.

I think I might leave the breeding for now as I am a begginer with the cichlids, can the young of these varieties be sexed?

Could I keep 6 adults, 2 of each variety or would the tank be too small?

cjam
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Honestly Im not sure how to sex the 3 you picked, but I do know that in a 75 gal the most oscars you can have is 1 so I would think that you should only have 1 oscar in your 90, seeing as how 75 gal is the minimum best for one, i dont think that it would be good to add more then 1 oscar in your tank. But I could be wrong as I dont have much experience with them. JDs can get to about 10 in each so I would get 2 of those. And with firemouths you should be able to get 4 in there.
SO if this is the way you want to go you would have:
1 Oscar
2 JDs
4 FMs
and then of course you could add some dithers to help with aggresion and such. Personaly for dithers I love tiger barbs they are cool fish to watch, and they like to school up, in my 55 gal mbuna tank I have a school of 8 and about to make it 12. Or you could go with some danios, silver dollars, things like that. Well I hope ive been of some help lol if you need anything else just let me know. best of luck

Japtastic
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Ok cool, thanks for all your help, will hopefully post back in a month or so with some pics of my new setup :)

cjam
01-23-2008, 03:56 PM
np glad i could help. yea do that, i would love to see ur tank