PDA

View Full Version : Electric Blue - Haps....How long does it take??

Sheridan
10-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Hi,

I am in the process of stocking my cichlid tank. I have 3 yellow labs (all juveniles) and had a look at my Blue Haps that I ordered into my LFS today. The thing is, they are not blue....none of the research I did said that they "grow to colour" so I was really not expecting them to be nearly white....they're not even an inch yet.

How long does it take for them to "colour up"??? I am slowly stocking the tank up to around 12 or so beginning at juveniles as I have read this is the best way to do it.

Also, what other varieties should I go for that will get on well with these in my 55g sized tank???

Crushed coral substrate, aquaclear 500 filter, 3 yellow haps, 1 bristle nose plece, tons of caves and two flower pots currently reside in this tank.....

Thanks in advance

Sheridan

jonah
10-09-2003, 04:27 AM
Fryeri (electric blues) males will color up around 2+" (5cm). Females stay silver. Peacocks and other smaller haps would probably be good choices. Can't think of any off hand that stay small, but there are some.

WorldNation
10-11-2003, 11:50 PM
try some ruby red peacocks

DR.J
10-12-2003, 11:04 AM
id have to go with world nation on that one.ruby red peacocks stay small.

Sheridan
10-12-2003, 05:09 PM
Yes, I love the Ruby Reds but can't get them here. I have been to quite a few different fish shops and none stock them. My LFS said that his suppliers don't have them as they are imported and might or might not get them. I've left my name at all of them....
One fish shop showed me the Eureka Red peacock, but it was huge! Then I started to think about my tank and wondered if it would be worth getting another 4 fish. Do you think 8 cichlids + 2 plecos would be enough stock in a 55 gal???

Thanks again
Sheridan