PDA

View Full Version : High Nitrates a major problem?

coyote
01-01-2008, 08:20 AM
I have a 100 gallon tank with two 400 emperior filters. 2 large jds, and 3 other smaller chichlids. My parameters are 8.0 ph, 120 alkalinity, very soft at 25. Nitrites are low, but my Nitrates are at 160. test chart says its unsafe, anyone have suggestions on means of dropping this level. Maybe more water changes?? Normally take one third every two weeks. also i use soft water to fill the tank, should I use hard water to bring my total hardness up. havent been using it to keep the lime down on the glass.

cichlidfanatic
01-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Hard water would probably be better, and I'd recommend doing that water change every week.

RustyNut
01-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Agreed, most cichlid tanks cannot keep nitrates in check with bi-weekly water changes, and a 20-30% weekly change is a pretty good starting point.

For now I would a 50% change to get your Nitrates to about 80ppm and then I would do another water change of 50% about 3-4 days later.... hopefully your nitrate will be below 50ppm and you can return to a regular schedule.

I would not be using soft water... the sudden change in pH and alkalinity of the incoming water can cause stress for your fish and even kill them if its severe enough. If you want to keep the tank clean of lime, try wiping done the outside after each water change with a little vinegar&water solution. I find that if I wipe off my tank weekly I can stay on top of the buildup..... Once you let it go and its buildsup its a lot harder to clean up!