PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Sand Substrates

The Dude
10-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Anybody got any super tips for trying to clean the bottom of my tank that I so wisely decorated with pretty black sand? I looks really great in there, but I did my first "gravel cleaning" last night, and sucked up outrageous ammounts of sand with all the poop! There's gotta be some way around this, right?

tom
10-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi Dude

I don't have any super tips, but...Are you vacuuming the sand much like your gravel? If so, don't. I just lightly skim the top of the fine substrate with the vacuum head with every weekly water change. The sand enters the head itself, but retreats and very little of it actually makes it through the hose.

Poet8102
10-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Yeah, the only thing I would say to do is what Tom said, but it takes patience and practice.

The Dude
10-09-2003, 08:16 AM
I was afraid of that...:nervous:...thanks for the replies...

davoz
10-11-2003, 07:41 AM
I have sand in half of my tanks. 1st thing is don't siphon like gravel/ What I do is I slowly stir the gravel to loosen up any bacteria or so from the sand then I siphon out the water and let the siphon hoover about 1'4 inch above the sand.

Karl
10-11-2003, 08:06 AM
a Vacume:D

ludwig
12-13-2003, 10:22 AM
I PUT the siphon tube in the mouth of a discarded plastic bottle with the bottom cut out,and fill it with bioballs to prevent the gravel from getting sicked up,like a plastic bottled water bottle is what i use,get it?

the209jungalist
01-21-2004, 11:55 PM
I do not understand that bioball thing at all. I also like you have pretty black sand which I love, Tahitian Moon sand is what I have.
Just kinda swirl and suck don' t gouge into the sand, very bad.
I talked to a fellow at a store that has marine tanks with sand, he said the longer the tube before the hose the better. My gravel vac I use is for my 10gal but I use it on my 55gal too, if I suck up sand, I tip the vac sideways and the sand will come back out.
Slow but hell what else are you supposed to do other than rake every once in a while.

Happy Vacuming!